For all you golfers out there

Haha "Ear Muffs"
I was referring to that you want to make sure the dimples aren't obstructed which could lead to lack of lift, also grip on the green. Get your head out of gutter Furax.

Ahhh, some reason I took the custom part too literal. So, might have been answered in a different way but given I am not getting all the irons at first, am I going to be buying just each club I need individually?

~Pitlith

Generally, Irons come in a set. Will be usually 2-P which is 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,P. Woods are not normally included in a set, as they vary and differ significantly. Other clubs that are not included in sets are usually your sand wedge (if you are galka its sandwich) and L wedge (Loft). So what you want to look at, is a set of irons that feels right (as in lenght, weight, grip,etc) and then also a Driver. Some would say a 3-5 wood set, but I personally go to a 2-3 Iron over a 3-5 wood, more control. If possible, find a course with a driving range, usually the pro-shops have demo clubs you can try out. Unless super cheap, don't buy from a pro-shop also. Furax plays from the Red tees, negates the dicky doo rule for him.

<table class="tborder" id="post63575" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td style="border-right: 1px solid rgb(209, 209, 225);" id="td_post_63575" class="alt1">
<hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> Be sure to keep your balls washed at all times too.
</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(209, 209, 225) rgb(209, 209, 225); border-width: 0px 1px 1px;" class="alt2">
user_offline.gif
<script type="text/javascript"> vbrep_register(&quot;63575&quot;)</script> </td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(209, 209, 225) rgb(209, 209, 225) -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="alt1" align="right"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1"> <tbody><tr> <td class="thead">Pussenboots

</td> </tr> <tr><td class="vbmenu_option">View Public Profile

</td></tr> <tr><td class="vbmenu_option">Send a private message to Pussenboots

</td></tr> <tr><td class="vbmenu_option">Find More Posts by Pussenboots

</td></tr> <tr><td class="vbmenu_option">Add Pussenboots to Your Buddy List

</td></tr> </tbody></table>
<table class="tborder" id="post63576" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr> <td style="border-style: solid none solid solid; border-color: rgb(209, 209, 225) -moz-use-text-color rgb(209, 209, 225) rgb(209, 209, 225); border-width: 1px 0px 1px 1px; font-weight: normal;" class="thead">
post_new.gif
1 Hour Ago </td> <td style="border-style: solid solid solid none; border-color: rgb(209, 209, 225) rgb(209, 209, 225) rgb(209, 209, 225) -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 1px 1px 1px 0px; font-weight: normal;" class="thead" align="right"> #20 </td> </tr> <tr valign="top"> <td style="border-style: none solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(209, 209, 225); border-width: 0px 1px;" class="alt2" width="175"> furax <script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register(&quot;postmenu_63576&quot;, true); </script>
בְּלִיַּ֫עַל

reputation_pos.gif

</td> <td style="border-right: 1px solid rgb(209, 209, 225);" id="td_post_63576" class="alt1">
icon1.gif

<hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> ............................................______ __
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/....................... ........................”:,
.....................,?........................... ...........................\,
.................../.............................. .............................,}
................./................................ ......................,:`^`..}
.............../.................................. .................,:”........./
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_................ ....,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,_ _
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

hot.png

ooolala.jpg

atyourcervix.png

</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(209, 209, 225) rgb(209, 209, 225); border-width: 0px 1px 1px;" class="alt2">
user_offline.gif
<script type="text/javascript"> vbrep_register(&quot;63576&quot;)</script> </td> <td style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(209, 209, 225) rgb(209, 209, 225) -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" class="alt1" align="right"> </td></tr></tbody></table>

Also, I slice like a motherfker. I never really thought about getting custom clubs to help negate that; thanks for the info.

Pit, get better at the game, get some clubs, next year come visit Chicago and I'll take you to some nice Rural clubs around here? There's some badass links I just haven't had the chance to try, would be utter badassery to have you around for a few days and shoot some golf and hit the bars, by then I'll be 21 ;)

Wait, dont buy from a pro shop? Where would I buy from? Dicks Sporting Goods or another semi-walmart type of place? If so, then just visit the pro shop to get "fitted" for my driver and whatnot? I may have missed something in all the hubbub. Thanks again for the info. Im pretty stoked about this.

Well, when I say Pro-shop I am referring the shop located at a golf course. Prices there are inflated by about 15%-20%. Those are good places to demo clubs, especially if they have a driving range atteached to the course. As for purchasing, not sure if you have Golf Galaxy or Golf World down there, but those are decently large stores, with high enough output that they don't have to price gouge you. Think of a Sam's Club, but strictly for Golf. Also, if you go to play in Chicago, I recomend the Chevy Chase course, they did wonders remaking it.

Ahh ok. What I had in mind was a local store that was like a standalone golf store. I will have to do some asking around. Dont think we have Golf World or Galaxy around here. First place I know off hand is Dicks Sporting Goods, but they dont specialize in any 1 sport. Once I find a store here, Ill hit them up and get them to help with my measurements and whatnot.

Oh and that is definitely a possibility Jot. Either for spring break or in the summer. I'm hoping to get everything I need so that I can start getting the feel of everything.

*I finished this post and looking back on it, its probably confusing since I just wrote down anything that came to mind when it came to mind....Sorry* Also, sorry if I offended anyone by hating on their club makers, if you like your clubs then thats a good thing and im retarded.*

ok, I can tell you what i've used since you don't really have a budget in mind. Plus ive been to a ton of demo days and ive worked as a Golf 'pro' at "The Range" in Avon (a reference for Pussenboots).

My first set of clubs was from Play it again sports and it consisted of junior's 3wood, 7 iron, 5 iron 3 iron, putter. and no, I would not reccomend this. I think I remember it cost around 70 bucks tho, but the clubs were pure shit. Plus I was like 10 years old at the time.

My second set of clubs was a full set of Northwestern Ladies clubs (ya whatever, I was short at the time) Northwestern is a good starter brand (if they are still in buisiness, I think RAM or Knight would be a similar company. The quality isnt as good as you see in other 'name' brands (although Taylor-Made is making a great case for equality), but they are much cheaper, like 150 bucks for a full set 3-pitch 2 woods.
You can get these clubs at basically any value-city or similar place, dont know what they have in tenessee.

I would NOT reccommend Wal-mart for buying discount clubs. On that note, I also wouldnt reccomend buying clubs at any sports store such as MC or Dicks. The employees there are totally inept as well as fat. And they wouldnt be able to tell you anything short of how much gayer than a tuna fish sandwich they are.
So for reccomendations for WHERE to buy clubs: COSTCO! costco has a great selection of starter clubs. I wouldnt reccomend going there if you are a pro or anything, but their merchandise is always great and they have an incredible warrentee on sporting goods.

If you are looking for better clubs at a MUCH better value than retail, I would definatly go to TGW.com.

Optimally your best place to buy clubs is at a country club if you or a friend belongs to one as they are always the cheapest because they can go lower than bottom line as well as you have your pro there that knows your swing.

Anyway, I digress. My next set was titleist double molded cavity back standards, and I had Goldwin Woods, which went out of buisiness but they were awsome when they lasted. These were about 300 bucks-ish and they are good intermediate clubs which I used from middleschool to highschool.

When I got to highschool we were provided with clubs which were Mizuno Pro-II irons which are a forged set that are cavity backed in the 3 and 4 irons and gradually go to blades in the 8-9 and pitch. This set of clubs totally changed my outlook on clubs because I had never really used great clubs and they dropped my handicap as soon as I used them. Forged Irons are the way to go when you get intermediate. They arent that cheap, (500bucks) but they will last you till you die if you keep them clean.

Ya, 500bucks sounds like a lot, but since these last a long time you can find them used somewhere like golf-galaxy or ebay or whatever for a fraction of the price. Just make sure that the club face isnt torn to shit, everything else can be replaced for next to nothing.

My current set of clubs are Mizuno MP-32 Blades 3-p Cleveland RTS oil can wedges S-G-L, Mizuno forged 5w and Titleist D2 driver which I won from a tourny. and its amazing.

(I should actually add something here. Forged clubs are much better than molded clubs. Forged basically means that they mash the steel into its shape in the same way one would make a sword. Molded is just a mold. There are 2 master forging companies out there, one being Mizuno and the other is Hogan. Mizuno 'uses the traditional japanese sword making techniques to forge their clubs' which doesnt matter that much since both Hogan and mizuno make phenominal clubs, just Mizuno is cheaper and Hogan only makes blades.)

Things to look out for when buying clubs... Never go with a name brand just because its a name. Ive probably demo'd hundreds of club sets and I can tell you that ALL clubs are basically the same. Accept of course for the forged/mold, or Blade/cavity. In fact, the emerging golf company right now is Bridgestone who makes amazing clubs, but nobody in the USA will buy them because their favorite golfer doesnt use them (but they are all the rage in Japan).

Everyone in the USA wants Nike or Callaway or Ping or Taylor-Made.

Nike makes excellent top of the line blades customized for Tiger Woods. BUT YOU ARENT TIGER WOODS! Their lower level stuff falls short where other companies excel.

Callaway was good in the 90s but they've been releasing lackluster clubs since the chronic release of Big Bertha and gigantic faced irons that cant cut through rough worth anything.

Taylor-Made makes me angry because its value-city clubs with a name and fancy colours. If you dont believe me, every year when they have the end of year golf sales check the price at which any taylor-made club releases at, then check the sale price. Case in point. at TGW R7 woods went from 500.00 retail at the beginning of the year to a solid 129.99 currently.

Cobra makes excellent Women's clubs, but they cater to the men's player who has a ridiculous slice and offsets their clubs.

Oh, that leads me to another point. Dont get offset clubs for the love of God. Because then you learn a swing that will suck. If you are slicing a ball its because your swing is off, not because your clubs are off.

One trend thats out this year is called Hybrid Clubs, which is long irons fattened up so they are easier to hit. I dont recommend these either (although a salesman will push these on the starting golfer with malice) for the same reason I dont reccommend offset clubs. if you cant hit a long iron its because of your swing. Long irons are the hardest clubs to hit by far, but once you learn to hit those, the swing is the same for every other club and you will be able to hit your money makers on target every time.

Another thing is, try before you buy. There are plenty of places where you can try out clubs like driving ranges or stores like golfgalaxy with indoor ranges. Go there and seem interested in all their clubs and hit them till your hands bleed. Dont buy anything there, but just remember what clubs you really liked and buy them at TGW or something.

Which brings me to the point of, Listen to the salesman (if he isnt a total twit) but dont take his word for anything. Hes a salesman you are the one who will be hitting the clubs. Its probably obvious to everyone, but you would be suprised how often people buy clubs because a salesman said "WELL THESE R TEH CLUBZ I UZE"

Thats about all I can think of for clubs...

Bags.

1 choice: OGIO. Nothing says my clubs kick the most ass ever than an Ogio Bag. you could seriously put spruce tree twigs with spoons tied to the ends of them in an ogio bag and people will be like 'holy shit, that guy must be tiger woods' Bags will last you a lifetime and there is ABSOLUTLY no better bag than ogios.

Not the schling bags mind you, those are uncomfortable and awkward, but their basics are so choice. I have an Ogio Grom bag now and had a Ping Hoofer in highschool, the difference is like no other and ping bags are supposed to be the best. BUT THEY ARENT, OGIO IS.

Any other questions ill be happy to answer but thats all I have to say for now.

Well I found out there is a Golf Galaxy about 10-20 miles south of Nashville. I'll definitely swing (pun intended) by there and check it out soon. Thanks for the info Ash. Ill keep everything in mind.

oh... also I totally forgot.

http://www.knetgolf.com/knetgolf/default.asp?r=1

for all your Golf Ball needs. They apparently have really good deals on clubs as far as I can see. But ive been ordering balls from here for a long time and their Mint Balls are exactly the same as new balls even though they have been hit...(they have to say they are used) but they are super cheap and will pass as new (minus the fact that they come delivered in a fishnet.) I do ball alignment tests on every ball I use and these havent lost their balance even though they have been hit, so no worries there.

You can also find some better deals on ebay from Knet since they are an Ebay company as well as a normal company and sometimes they will have ebay auctions. I use Nike OnePlats which I could never afford to buy new.

Edit: Looking at the Knet sales, The wilson Driver deal is so good it made me laugh. Wilson Firestick Driver and 3 dozen Wilson Ultra Golf Balls for 49.99.

http://www.knetgolf.com/knetgolf/default.asp?view=detail&code=WFIRESTICK&r=1&isle=1

Edit 2: With the theme of writing stuff that comes to mind in no particular order is (be mature) Shaft stiffness. Most people say Beginners should get regular, Old people should get flexable and pros and low handicappers should get x-stiff and stiff depending on their swingspeed.

I use x-stiff fujikara speeders, but my point is this - you are young, you are strong, and you will want to beat the shit out of the ball every time you set up to it. Hence, get a stiff shaft if you are given the choice. Plus, when you get angry and try to snap the club over your knee, the stiff shaft will resist much more to breakage as well as it will not get messed up an a cramped trunk.

Edit 3: http://www.costco.com/Common/Catego...opnav=&cat=54253&eCat=BC|111|54253&lang=en-US

Really good deals on starter sets here if you arent looking for a name brand. Pretty unbeatable imo

Last edited:
Pit > Keep me updated.

Spring break hitting around courses for a few days would be a blast. Given, I'll suck horribly, and if you start now you'll still have a tremendous lead on me I'm sure, but it'll be fun. I've only really hit at ranges and in my backyard (got a set of clubs, but never take them anywhere, just hit balls into the neighbors yard, haha)

Back