For all you golfers out there

Pitlith

Pitorith Campaign 2008
Ultima Legacy
I am looking into getting started. Any info on what kind of clubs I should get to get started on? Nothing too expensive obviously, but I do not know the first thing when it comes to this. (well, I have been known to play a mean round of golf on Hot Shots Golf and Tiger Woods 08):shades02:

~Pitlith

My first suggestion: invest in lessons. Swinging a golf club is a complicated process and it's really easy to injure yourself doing it.
Another thing you should do is get your clubs fitted to your size, and for this you'll need to go to a pro shop. They'll usually gather your gender, your height, the distance from your wrist (where it bends) to the floor (without shoes), your age, your handicap or skill level, how fast you swing a golf club, and what club you'll use at the 150 yard marker (they usually measure this on one of those golf game simulators). Playing with clubs too short or too tall for you will fuck up your swing and hurt you. The three clubs you should first invest in (if you don't buy a complete set) are a good oversize driver, nothing expensive because, lets face it, you're going to beat the shit out of it, a 9 iron, and a putter. For a while, these are the three clubs you'll be practicing with while you're taking lessons. When you've hit a satisfactory level with your instructor, hit those lynx and own all your friends!

If you want to skip actually doing well playing golf and just want to hack away from the rough, just get the cheapest set of customizable golf clubs you can at any pro shop. Again, I STRESS custom clubs. The building service is usually cheap, and at least you'll be comfortable while completely sucking. Just remember these four things: golf late, smuggle beer, rent the cart, and there's ALWAYS someone worse.

Furax hit a lot of the good points. I agree that the most important thing is to get clubs that fit you. Also, if you're just starting, as Furax said, don't go throw down all your gil on a full set. A beginner golfer can do nearly as well with 4-5 clubs as they can with all the in-betweens. Get a driver, a long iron, a short iron, and a putter, and you'll be set.

As for advice for actually playing golf: have fun sucking. Honestly. If you can't have a good time just losing balls and riding around the course all day, you're not going to enjoy golf long enough to be good at it. It's a tough game where half the fun is just being out there... you only get to put the ball in the hole 18 times, lol.

lol, thanks a bunch for the info. I didnt think about the custom clubs. Ill check out the pricing on lessons and custom golf clubs and see where that takes me.

~Pitlith

It really is an incredibly fun game with friends. I loved the courses in north jersey, too bad many of them were private. My clubs are still in jersey and i'm kicking myself for it cause phoenix has great night golfing. I'm pretty bad but better than some. I had a shit driver and I smacked the floor with it too many times, so I was golfing with some friends at the Darlington course in Mahwah and I went to drive off the 4th hole tee and the head of my driver flew right the fuck off. I must've laughed for about 10 minutes straight. I ended up driving with my 3 wood for the rest of the game but oh man, that was some funny shit.

Definately test your swing first. So you can find out your speed type. Faster down swings really can't use Graphite as you can't grab the "Snap". Most important is to get a putter that feels right for you. Putting is where you can make or break your game. "Drive for show, put for dough"

no matter how many clubs i have i can never make it through the windmill:arg:
Ah, Yuriku is my type of golfer! =^.^=

Depends. I dont know what my budget should be for this. I started looking up clubs' prices online and saw anywhere from 100-400. That is before i heard about getting custom clubs and lessons. I have no clue off hand on what this stuff will run and was going to eventually visit a local golf store to speak 1on1 with someone about prices. Once I know what this should run me (on average) or at least ball park figures, I will know what to shoot for. I dont expect to spend $5, but on the other hand, dont think Ill be dropping a grand on it lol. So somewhere near 300-500 i am thinking. That is before I know anything more than I do now.

~Pitlith

$500 will get you a fairly decent set of Irons. I would also bring up the topic of possibly looking into a used set for a starter. You can usually get a decent used set, Callaway, Clevelands, Ping, etc for under 500, which will then allow you to get a decent driver that is to your swing style. Most larger golf shops have indoor driving ranges, that allow you to get a feel for the club. Not sure about weather in Nashville, but I know Ohio, and towards November most stores start to liquidate in order to make room for 08' inventory. So if Golf dies out in the winter around you, shop around for season ending sales. I personally use older Callaway irons, good feel, solid weight and very reliable.

So for sure I need to get a custom Driver, and if possible, custom irons? Ill definitely start looking around at some local stores to see what they have.

~Pitlith

Well not so much as custom, but more designed for your style. I mean if you tend to pull or push you drive, you don't want a lower degree, you want something along the lines of a 11 or 12, which will help negate a slice or hook (HOOKER if you are Furax). You don't need to get them built to you, just need to do some testing as to what fits your style best. But most important I would say are putter, driver, wedge (pitching) and a good recovery club. My recovery club is a heaven wood, 7 wood, great from anywhere and consistently 200+ if I need to.

When we say custom, we mean properly sized for your frame. They won't be PGA Pro Tour custom as in custom angles, pure custom shafts and all that nonsense. Just get your measurements taken and get clubs correctly sized for you.

............................................________
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,
.........................,/...............................................”:,
.....................,?......................................................\,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:”........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

Back