Fields of Valor Beckon You! (11/28/2008)

Aangeliceus

Kitteh's Meow
FC/Leadership
PlayOnline said:

The much-awaited December version update will see the introduction of "Fields of Valor," a brand new in-game system that will allow players to engage in light-hearted yet rewarding adventuring, regardless of whether they are bereft of company or part of a hulking party.

PlayOnline said:
Development Concept

Ever had a bit of time to spare, but not quite enough to participate in a normal leveling party? Or for a change of pace, just wanted to chill out and indulge in some light-hearted gaming with friends and fellow linkshell members?

If you answered in the affirmative to at least one of the above questions, then Fields of Valor is just what the doctor ordered. For a small fraction of your time (friends optional), you can enjoy fuss-free yet rewarding adventuring. Get more out of each Vana'dielian day with Fields of Valor!

How to Play

Using a "Field Manual" located in any of several areas will bring up a menu from which players can select a training regime of their choice. After that, it's just a matter of venturing forth and slaying the enemies listed in the regime. Those wishing to enjoy Fields of Valor in a party simply need to make sure they all select the same training regime.

3871_4.jpg

Rewards

In Fields of Valor, the spoils and experience acquired in the natural course of slaying monsters will be yours to keep. In addition, upon successful completion of each training regime, players will be further rewarded for their fortitude with experience and a corresponding amount of gil, as well as "tabs"—points exclusive for use in Fields of Valor. These points can be exchanged for items and services that will surely benefit adventurers roughing it out in the field.

http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/3871/detail.html

As psyched as I am for this (and trust me, with 50 COR being my highest job, I'm VERY psyched about this), I'm even more excited about this potentially being a sign of things to come for SE's next MMO. This + level sync + campaign are exactly what FFXI has been needing since its inception, in regards to keeping people around who can't spend countless hours LFG.

So... it sounds like this is a new system to allow people to solo? I'm anxious to see how it will work out. Especially for support classes who many are particularly dependent on the party setup (hello BRD, WHM). They say "just a matter of venturing forth and slaying the enemies" which if you're a support class that isn't very good at hurting things, that can be a challenge.

Will they give some kind of NPC party setup where you fit in? Will they make monsters tailored to your job class' particular abilities (almost like how maat fight has different demands. WHM you have to keep yourself alive through so much damage.) This might be good, or really lame. We'll see. :)

Will they give some kind of NPC party setup where you fit in? Will they make monsters tailored to your job class' particular abilities (almost like how maat fight has different demands. WHM you have to keep yourself alive through so much damage.) This might be good, or really lame. We'll see. :)

While I doubt this is the case, that would be a really good idea.

While I doubt this is the case, that would be a really good idea.

The NPC party would only be a good idea if they had some damn good AI. They've been improving some things with the the NPC buddies and automatons, but I can still see where it'd suck. AI doesn't get the nuances of balancing MP between mages, when to keep tank's HP high vs when to let them heal themselves (if pld or /dnc), timing job abilities correctly to keep hate, scaling back damage when the tank's having a hard time, etc. But I'd still be very happy if they tried.

I suspect it will more be along the lines of they'll have certain pre-made "training regimes" which I HOPE they won't forget the low damage support classes in there. I keep thinking of WHM and BRD because I'd have a helluva time solo'ing on those jobs. WHM might not be so bad if they gave us undead that we could heal and banish for okay damage. But it'd still suck comparatively.

A better "training regime" might be to keep NPCs alive like you do in garrison. That may play to WHM, RDM, SCH or even SMN abilities. Or where you have to control the crowd while NPC warriors pick off and kill a wave of monsters. That'd be BLM and BRD territory.

I think whatever they go with should rely on NPCs in some aspect. This is just due to simple game balance. Most jobs have a handicap in some way that they can't solo well. Why would we all spend hours lfg otherwise? So unless they want only BLU and BST doing Fields of Valor, they either have to build scenarios playing to each job's strengths and weakenesses, or supplement with NPCs to cover the handicaps. Since you and a buddy or two can enter the same regime, I doubt it's tailored.

Back