FFXIV Wiped from HD when installing Win 8.1 onto MS Surface

Shadowedge

Number Two
FC/Active Member
So I downloaded the Win 8.1 upgrade today for my Surface Pro, and apparently upgrading gives you a clean slate in the Program Files folders. Lost everything -- FFXIV, FFXI, Adobe CS6 Suite, etc.

I doubt it has the same effect on a regular PC or laptop, and I also doubt many are in this boat, but if you are, be prepared for that. Re-downloading the 9 gigs now =(

Wow that sux. I already upgraded my desktop to 8.1 pro and had no issues.

The first thing I did was copy my XIV install and macros to another drive just in case. I didn't install it in program files so it was a non-issue for me, but I wanted to be safe.

A lot of people are having DirectX 9 issues when upgrading to Windows 8.1, so I recommend waiting to perform any major updates to Windows 8 until more information is released regarding FFXIV's compatibility. Windows 8 stinx.

A lot of people are having DirectX 9 issues when upgrading to Windows 8.1, so I recommend waiting to perform any major updates to Windows 8 until more information is released regarding FFXIV's compatibility. Windows 8 stinx.
Thats the problem Win8 and Win8.1 does not come with DX9 already in it. It must be installed seperately for any DX9 game to work properly. If you dont install it then DX10 will emulate DX9 and thats where issues begin.

Back