FFXIV Benchmark Results

Ok, so I tested the benchmark leaving the max settings in the graphical settings GUI but turning off FXAA and turning on AA in the Nvidia control panel, overriding the application settings. Sadly, it doesn't work for the normal AA. FXAA in the control panel works, but negatively impacts the image quality (albeit only slightly). I'm kinda bummed you can't use an edge detecting AA rather than the scene blurring FXAA. I reran the tests for 1152p @ max after rebooting last night and clearing some space on the SSD and ended up averaging a 12647. I really hope they bring some DX11 features and wider variety of AA support down the line.

http://puu.sh/41rus/e0b72bbefd.png - test results.

Only thing weird I have found with the Bench is with the SSD drive it won't run Full Screen.
bench score.png bench text.png

bench.jpg

I need quite a few upgrades.. but this will suffice for now until I have some extra money.

For those of you who have Nvidia graphics cards (although I'm sure you could figure out how to do it for AMD GPUs using this tutorial) here is a link to setting up a custom resolution for your monitor while maintaining acceptable frequencies through a DVI connection. This effectively gives you a forced supersample AA. It's not perfect, but it provides a considerably better looking alternative to FXAA.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=346325

Last edited:
Say Aang, do you notice any stuttering when you're running through water? I get some crazy frameskipping when running through rivers.

Say Aang, do you notice any stuttering when you're running through water? I get some crazy frameskipping when running through rivers.

I'm stuck with my laptop right now. I'll be back at my main machine tonight.

At least with the laptop, I didn't notice it.

Will check late tonight after ingest back to Tokyo.

I get the feeling it's an issue with SLI.

Were you running the beta drivers that crashed? I think I'm still on the latest release version that seems stable.

I'm on my way back now, will see how this beta version goes at home.

I tried out the latest beta drivers in an effort to fix the stuttering I get when running through water. None of the beta drivers fix that issue and they both cause full blown OS hanging. I'm back to the WHQL certified drivers.

Edit: Turns out it was the resolution. The cards couldn't handle rendering the water at that high of a resolution. Once I backed down to 2048x1152, it was back at the fps cap.

Last edited:
That's very strange about the SSD.... Both systems I tested above were both SSD.... Very strange.
Samsung had a program called Drive Magic or something that came with the SSD. It was loading when Windows started.. so I removed it and things cleared up.

Samsung had a program called Drive Magic or something that came with the SSD. It was loading when Windows started.. so I removed it and things cleared up.

I hate those 3rd party apps that screw crap up, glad you got it straight!

Figured I'd throw in my two cents. Laptop is 2 weeks shy of 2 years old. Seem to have to make sure the GT555m is the primary card on benchmark programs, as the Intel graphics likes to jump in there and putt around (and had me curious since it shows Intel HD Graphics listed on the benchmarks below), but I checked that the Nvidia GPU was running during these.
upload_2013-8-18_21-51-2.png
upload_2013-8-18_21-51-14.png

Attachments

• upload_2013-8-18_21-50-45.png
    upload_2013-8-18_21-50-45.png
    706.7 KB · Views: 4
Figured I'd throw in my two cents. Laptop is 2 weeks shy of 2 years old. Seem to have to make sure the GT555m is the primary card on benchmark programs, as the Intel graphics likes to jump in there and putt around (and had me curious since it shows Intel HD Graphics listed on the benchmarks below), but I checked that the Nvidia GPU was running during these.
View attachment 547
View attachment 548
Xander posted this in other forum. It tells how to switch to Nvidia:

08-14-2013, 07:00 PM #67Xander

This might help. It shouldn't vary too much from laptop to laptop

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-...cs/ta-p/949633

I checked out the Lenovo link and it shows how to manually specify which to use, but is what I've already done at this point. Using the NVIDIA control panel and testing with the Passmark Benchmark program, I was able to get it to use and show that it used the the GT555m there, but when immediately going to FFXIV benchmark, it lists the Intel GPU instead. After activating the NVIDIA GPU Activity button in notification area and seeing the FFXIV benchmark showing up there during the test, I just thought it was using the main GPU while saying it used the Intel instead. Now you have me curious... haha. Just gives me something to play around with. Thanks Elvi for the help :)

So after manually setting it to run on the onboard graphics, it seems that the original benchmarks were running off the primary GPU but just was labeling it as the Intel graphics. Only difference I can tell is the amount of memory allocated on each benchmark (1696 vs 4095 MB). Not sure why it's not labeling correctly but good to know.

upload_2013-8-19_21-29-19.png

@ Pitlith After this last Beta Phase.. if you can figure out why the graphics are not labeling right and how SE programs work.. you need to go visit Aa and get a job at SE.

@Aa Amen I was really happy with the game. Now SE just has to iron out hardware and that ?should be easier than rewriting an entire MMO.

@Aa Amen I was really happy with the game. Now SE just has to iron out hardware and that ?should be easier than rewriting an entire MMO.

True, they'll have to make tweaks and adjustments anyway. Same goes for the video card makers, they will make adjustments in their drivers as well.

Honestly, I think the scale at which FFXIV operates is pretty wide. Even if you have an older machine, you can tone down the settings and it still runs pretty good. I kind of want to invest in a better sound system or a more advanced headset to take advantage of the advanced audio included in FFXIV.

Back