ffxi on mac

Chiiana

WHAT
FC/Active Member
how?

...or actually, maybe my brother is full of shit. He bought ffxi for xbox, and today is telling me that in order to play it, he'll need to cough up 120$ for ...something else he explained, in order to actually play it. However he has ffxi for PC that I bought him like 3 years ago and he played a while (then quit).
Someone told me there is a way to play it on a mac? I really prefer for him to just play on the xbox though, but I dont play on that thing or know much (or anything) about that platform (I'm more of a ps2 and N DS person.)

FFXI actually plays better than most games under virtualized platforms due to the fact that it uses a software based rendering engines, and most virtualization platforms are still in the experimental stage when it comes to providing virtualized hardware acceleration. I don't know specifically about hosting a windows guest on a mac, but when I was playing FFXI, I was able to run it on Linux under VMWare Workstation after a few tweaks. Parallels claims to support 3d acceleration, but I'd be surprised if it was perfect.

Might want to ask Aelf, I think he plays on Mac.

i used VMWare Fusion for a while with some decent results, but for best results just BootCamp it and install a real version of windows on an extra partition or an external firewire/usb drive...

between parallels and fusion, they are constantly going back and forth with each version upgrade on which is better than which... either way they are both phenominal products. From what i understand now the current versions of both have dealt with the odd graphical artifacts i would sometimes see when playing FF in a virtual environment.

the shelf cost of either of these will be around $80 iirc, BootCamp is part of Mac OSX 10.5.x (Leopard)... so there is your cheapest route.

You could also run Windows on the Mac hardware using Bootcamp, and then you don't have to worry about virtualization issues.

Edit: Oops, didn't refresh my window, and Aelf beat me with the answer. :p

Back