Drain question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cujo

Ballista Junky
Was just wondering if the parser records drain damage (Spell and from Bloodweapon) and also from the new Drain Spikes spell.

Isn't drain damage impossible to accurately parse anyway? Since if you're at full hp it'll always say zero damage...

Whoa, creepy. My in-game name is Hex and I was just about to post.

The last parser (FFXIP) I used records Drain damage as "spell damage", but honestly most of the time I don't Drain in EXP if I'm already at full HP because it's a waste. So I'm not sure if it even recorded it when it did 0 damage, probably not.

For some reason this parser doesn't record Drain, or Drain 2 damage, at all. I just installed it so maybe I'm doing something wrong? Or is this a flaw in the parser?

Well, does drain II only do the number of damage that it shows? or does it give that much HP and then do more damage like an unrestricted drain 1? Hell, a personal question I guess for me would be if a person has 1 HP, drains 250 HP, does that only could for 250 damage to a monster using Drain 1 or does it do 250 HP drain + some other damage? Any tests done on that?

~Pitlith

Well, does drain II only do the number of damage that it shows? or does it give that much HP and then do more damage like an unrestricted drain 1? Hell, a personal question I guess for me would be if a person has 1 HP, drains 250 HP, does that only could for 250 damage to a monster using Drain 1 or does it do 250 HP drain + some other damage? Any tests done on that?

~Pitlith

Drain damage is independent of your current HP, but the damage reported in the chat log is how much HP you got back, not how much you actually drained from the mob.

Easiest way to see this is to go Drain a lowbie mob when you have full HP. You'll see its HP go down, but the chat log will say you drained 0 HP.

That's for Drain1 though, with Drain2 you might be able to figure out exactly how much you drained by checking how much your max HP went up.

I knew that drain actually does damage by itself, but if I am 500/1000 HP and I drain back 250 damage for a total of 750/1000, is it also the same? Meaning did the monster lose 250 hp, or is it 250 hp + an unknown amount that drain1 actually did from the spell itself?

I would assume that the spell does the independent damage no matter your HP, but the drained HP is only an added bonus in damage delt to the monster, if that makes sense. I know this may seem obvious, but I guess it wasn't to me when I was typing it and just wanted to throw it out there :D

~Pitlith

I don't know what the hell you're saying Pit o.o You drained 250 HP... so it did 250 damage... right? I'm pretty sure there's no hidden secret ninja damage in the spell :p

-benny

Well, if you drain 0 hp, the enemy still lost X number of damage just from the spell. if you drain 1 hp, does the enemy only lose 1 hp? or do they lose 1hp and also the damage from drain? Now expand it to draining 300. Does the enemy just lose 300 hp, or do they lose 300 plus the damage from drain?

~Pitlith

I can always test it in Ballista but havent thought about it during my ballistas. I am pretty sure drain still does more damage other than the amount you drained, but just throwing it out there if anyone knew.

~Pitlith

If the log says you drain 0 HP it's only because you were capped on HP to begin with. There's always a fixed amount that will be drained. That number is determined each time you perform the drain spell on an enemy, and depends on randomness, your dark magic skill, and various other factors. So the game determines this number, call it X.

The enemy always loses exactly X HP, (technically I guess he can lose less than that if the drain kills him). Let Y = Min(PlayerMaxHP - PlayerCurrentHP, X). You will then receive the message

Y HP drained from the <t>.

In other words, the only damage done by the spell is the damage you absorb. The only reason the message does not always accurately reflect the damage dealt is because of a situation with capped/near capped player HP.

Surprisingly the same even applies for Blood Weapon. With Blood Weapon active you actually get two log messages each time you strike an enemy:

<p> hits the <t> for X points of damage.
X damage drained from the <t>.

In this case, these two log messages were still the result of the enemy losing X hp, not 2X hp.

I always thought this was really obvious. Drain always does good damage... you can see it doing damage even if you're at full HP if you drain a lowbie mob. But it only will tell you how much HP you got back. It's really simple....

-benny

lol it seems I am being misunderstood. I believe Kalia nailed it though.

~Pitlith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back