Dont Get Too Comfortable

I haven't decided on using this version of the data or starting from scratch -- don't worry too much about user accounts and membership access just yet.

advice to anyone who posts something important, save it on your hard drive first :p

Kalia said:
My sig is old :(

mine too =/ said 62 mnk on it earlier lol.

Shrike said:
You also need to re-remove my private access AA TT.

:abso-not:

There isn't anything here you haven't seen already Shrikey, I'm not worried about it at this point. There's still a lot of housekeeping to do.

Aangeliceus said:
There isn't anything here you haven't seen already Shrikey, I'm not worried about it at this point. There's still a lot of housekeeping to do.

Hey you never know what i could do with that aspid tod from 9.28.05 :shades02:

Hm.

Least you got some stuff workin Aa. Good job =) Keep up the work, much appreciated.

Also, LOL at my post count dropping over a thousand. Do I get to hit 2000 posts again?

MAH SIG IS OLD TOO LOL!11!1!!1!!1!1!

l:p

testes, testes
one, two....THREE?

aw fuck, i'm not a member of ultima T.T

Last edited:
On Serious Note:

I'm probably going to purge the board itself and archive the old boards for reference purposes.

I'm having complicated restoring issues with user accounts and posts made in the last 2 months for some reason.

The framework will not change but I will dump user accounts and purge the board most likely.

What I have done to prevent this from happening again:

• Resticting the database access from the forums account that the PHP software uses to talk to MySQL
  • Mirroring data to an off-site server in the mid-west. (Database mirror)
  • Hotbackups: A SQL dumpfile once per hour from the mirror site. (The mirror site is live...)
  • Daily SQL dump to a folder at 11:59PM EST every night.
  • Adding 1 additional database administrator that I trust that can help oversee all the databases I operate. There are over 35 on this one server.
  • MySQL 5.x is now being used.
  • Additional Monitoring software to alert admins of potential problems.

Why didn't I do this before?

Money.

Ultima is a non-profit site and between the ventrilo and the forums operations, my costs run about $32/month. Adding the additional services will add about $8.00/month to help pay for the additional administrator and redundancy services for the Ultima services.

I'm also thinking about adding a developer friend to help finish coding the profile site. That'll cost me a few dinners and beers.

If you've got an opinion, speak now.

Thanks,
Aa

EFFECTIVE DATE: I don't know yet. But soon.

AND THE CAUSE: For those who speak database'ese --- effectively, imagine that your database tablespace is named 'Ultima'. Imagine you are working in a SQL tool, imagine you enter the command DROP TABLE ULTIMA. Yep. That's not exactly what happened, but for the most part that's what it looks like. :arg:

Wow... this game costs me $120.75/month, haha! I can't claim home broadband or server hosting costs since that's paid for from work profits/salaries.... lol

Thanks so much Aa for doing what you do. Seems like it takes so much effort for something you consider just a hobby.

Back