Comp Rant

Shishikou

Ex-Sky Galka
Hello all,

So..my computer is partially broken. The problem is when I turn on my computer it says "A network cable is unplugged" while it's actually is plugged. From there I assumed that I need a new ethernet box thing.

But there's another problem. If I turn off my computer and then immediately try to turn it off, it will not turn on. Usually, I'll have to wait a few minutes before I can turn it back on. From there I assumed that I need a new power supply and my current power supply is doing something to the ethernet thing.

My options are:
-Buy either a new ethernet adapter or a better power supply.
-Buy both.
-Buy/build a new comp.
-or-
-Suicide. =[

So all you computer whiz/engineers, help out a Sky-Galka who has lost his wings.

Audi,

Take it over to Mike's and swap spare parts out until you figure out what's wrong. Then go buy the appropriate part. I gave all my spare parts to him anyway.

Hmm, that's a good idea, but I never went to Mike's before and have no idea where it is. Maybe someone can tell Mongo that I need his help. That guy's impossible to get a hold off.

sounds like ur mainboard is acting up not the power supply. either that or ur power supply is overloaded
try to diconncet cd roms , floppies, and stuff.
and is ur ethernet integrated? or do u have integrated ethernet if so u might have to enter bios and disable the ethernet. most likely power supply

if u think it's ur router, hub, switch then try it with another PC.
if u don't have a 2nd pc check the lights in the back of the ethernet card or the " box " ^^
if they aren't on they aren't communicating u know it's hardware.
if the lights are on that means they are communicating but it's a software problem

as for the turn off turn on thing it has to be power supply or main board.

Well I took my comp to Best Buy since I still had my warranty from when I bought it. Hopefully it'll be good as new (if not almost new). If they can't fix it then they'll probably give me a brand new one lol.

As for returning to Valefor, I'm not sure yet. I don't have much time during the week to spend hours upon hours to level or sit around waiting for spawns.

Thanks for the input everyone.

I had this same exact problem. The ethernet cable in my port and online (I tested the cable in my GF's computer), but saying on my computer that it's unplugged. Then I started noticing little other things going awry... my optical mouse not functioning at all, and then even a normal mouse w/a ball not moving horizontally at all (I even popped the ball out and rolled the metal rod thingy that's supposed to make it go horizontally... no dice). Additionally, even with the power off, the lights and fans inside my computer would remain on no matter what -- as long as the power cable is plugged into the back of the computer, these would stay on. The last thing to happen was the power button wasn't doing anything.

I took it to the store, they looked at it, said it didn't turn on at once but soon did after they "cleaned it up." I paid the $55, took it home, and it still didn't turn on. I took it back, they booted it up fine after a couple attempts, but they started noticing the funny stuff happening when a bunch of stuff is plugged into the computer (mouse, ethernet, etc).

I'm still not sure what's going on, but they seem to think it's the power supply. We'll see.

oh i talked to mong >_> he said he won't help you cuz you screwed him over.. said you told him to join ultima and quit a week later lol.. now he left for nakama ; ;

Never fear, the MB trolling computer tech is here. Simple problem. Your motherboard sounds like the problem. When you turn off your computer, there is a capacitor that discharges. It can't turn back on, probably means its not completely draining or accepting charge. Can't replace that part, got to get another motherboard. Best fix for that, don't turn off the comp and restart it really quickly. Rule of thumb is to wait about 5 seconds, especially on a hard shutdown. Your ethernet situation is simple. If the lights are blinking on the network port, than your device is probably working fine. What you need to do is select the icon My Computer, right click and go to properties. Go to device manager and see if there is any ? mark in the devices. If so, than you probably need to reinstal your network driver, and if that doesn't work, its either a bad card or you might need to reload your operating system. Another way to system properties is through the control panel. Ok, if its not the driver, while in the device manager, check under network connections or devices, maybe even communication devices. It should so a network device in there, and make sure it doesn't have an X through it. If everything is fine and dandy there, than most likely you have a bad card or need a reload. I personally would rather pay the $15 for a new card and test that first rather than reload the OS and software on mine (with all the programs, data back up and games it takes about 4 days to do). By a regular 10/100 network pci card from Best Buy, Intel is best brand, the Intel Pro 100 is my choice, and try that one. If it doesn't work, than most likely its your OS. You'll need to back up your data onto CD's or whatever and reload. Have fun doing that. Any questions, just contact me at Byrdman@trojanmen.com

Neo, your problem sounds like the power supply. I'd put my money on that. My other guess would be that your motherboard is dead, cause the power from the PSU goes through the motherboard to most of your other devices, such as mouse, keyboard, most graphics cards and processor. So, i'd have them take a look at that. Tell them to use a diagnostic card, or program, it should test all the stresses. Normally those programs dón't find anything unless its fatal to the comp, but its always worth a shot.

Wow Byrdman. That's an awesome explanation. Thank you for that.
If my problem persists after I get my comp back, then I will do as you recommended.

Thanks, Ben, for asking Mongkol. I should go smack that foo. Screwed him over...yea right. One can't keep spending many hours playing games when one's grade is plummeting.:D

indeed smack em for me, i miss the little bastard :\

OK, it was neither the mother board or the power supply (but they replaced the power supply anyway just to be sure). Apparently my floppy drive cable went bad, and was sending "a bad signal" to the motherboard that was causing different aspects of it to lock up and misbehave. Everything in the green now.

So Shish, you may give your cables a once-over, I guess.

- Neo

Last edited:
Still waiting for BB to gimme a call so I can pick up my damn comp. At least I have time to do my hw, so I can be lazy during the 2ndhalf of the week.

:shades02: Cancer stix

Back