Comp game lag problems

Rubydream

Aggro Queen
I'm wondering if anyone could help me figure out why in the last 3 Dynamis runs my comp lags sooo bad to the point I DC, my comp freezes up, or I cant move my char at all and everything stops moving, my sound cuts off, etc, etc. This also happens to me now in Campaign or in heavy active area's (IE: N Sandy with festival)

I've not done anything to my comp in installing anything or visiting any odd sites so I'm pretty confused as to why this all has just popped up in the last 2 weeks. My comp has had no issues like this before then with game play infact for being 4 years old and me upgrading it higher/better things to play the game it has worked great. I'm tempted just to wipe out my comp and reinstall the games again and see if that helps out any. Other then that I'm not to sure what I could do to get the game to work normal again. It gets really old fast with trying to fight from DCing and lagging out in a normal city zone. I dont have any problems with inet connection other then playing the game. Infact Verizon DSL is great in my area because I live right near one of the buildings so I get cable like speeds almost here.

I love coming to Dynamis with you guys but last night and the Glacier run last Sunday I just wanted to pull my hair out due to the game acting like POS. After completly DCing lastnight for the second time I just gave up with fighting with the game and called it a night out of frustration.

Any help would be great!

shouldn't this be in the new tech support forum?

anyway, there should be some numbers on the top right of your screen with two green arrows, marked "S" and "R." (send and receive) If they drop to 0, it's probably a connection issue either with POL or your ISP. else, maybe you have too much stuff running in the background?

EDIT: also, there might be spyware or adware eating up your resources, might want to scan for those.

I agree with fiko in the spyware adware i have one that my scanners cant detect that loads several Iexplore.exe programs and runs them in the backround eating all my resources and if i had dvds to back my stuff up id reformat in a heart beat.

Sorry Fiko, I didn't know I had access to the support forum.
(If this could be moved there could a mod move it please)

I've ran HouseCall and the other normal window programs on cleaning up your comp or to check it. Nothing has come up with any problems. I sometimes will just R0 out for no reason at all, but other inet sites will work fine still (take that as a game issues). I don't run anything in the background other then Firefox for looking stuff up on ffxiclopedia. I've never had any issues while doing that. Stumpped as to why this just started out of the blue.

Moved.

I'm not very knowledgeable about fixing computers and stuff but I can say that Heie downloaded Ad-aware and Symantec Anti-virus on my machiene for me and they have helped quite a bit with keeping it running smoothly.

I'm wondering if anyone could help me figure out why in the last 3 Dynamis runs my comp lags sooo bad to the point I DC, my comp freezes up, or I cant move my char at all and everything stops moving, my sound cuts off, etc, etc. This also happens to me now in Campaign or in heavy active area's (IE: N Sandy with festival)

Open your case and check your fans. This sounds like a classic case of overheating.

Dynamis can be somewhat of a load, if something is getting too hot(ie: fans clogged with dust), your comp will freeze like that.

Yeah the b/f said he will take the case off of my comp tomorrow and see if there is anything dust, cat/dog hair, etc in the fans. I reinstalled XP, so far everything is working fine. Installed the games and waiting on updates to get done. Soooo we shall see.

Note to Lexa: Let's alliance and go after Aangeliceus

><
XP won't install SP2 and keeps failing it for whatever reason. POL isn't working right because my graphics card won't update without SP2 installed... So FFXI is all kinds of... dotty looking and slow as shit.

....and I thought installing XP back on and giving Vista a break would be a good idea. HA! Man was I wrong! I've not had a problem with Vista (knock on wood) I may as well just start over and put Vista back on here. I'm done for the night.

There are a few reasons that SP2 won't install. The first thing: What did you use to install XP with first? Is this XP Pro or Home? Did you use a OEM Supplied Disc (from your computer maker) or did you have a retail copy? Or maybe even a Vol. Lic. version?

Some newer hardware, requires you to install Windows XP with SP2 included. You will need a disc that has been 'Slipstreamed' -- I only have Volume License copies, so my copy won't work for you. I ran into this issue in May of this year... I could only get everything installed with an updated install disc.

If you are getting an error code for the failed install, post it here. Check your system logs to see if there is anymore information that could be there. This is found in your system management console (MMC) .. Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Event Viewer.

Also, could you post the exact version of XP you are installing. This is found in system information. You can just type msinfo32.exe in your Run command bar or in your System Tools Folder.

I don't think Vista is a good idea unless you really want to spend a lot of time tweaking it to run FFXI and other stuff as good as XP would. Vista is fine for doing so, but really needs an expert to configure it properly. Other than that, it does look pretty. lol.

><
XP won't install SP2 and keeps failing it for whatever reason. POL isn't working right because my graphics card won't update without SP2 installed... So FFXI is all kinds of... dotty looking and slow as shit.

....and I thought installing XP back on and giving Vista a break would be a good idea. HA! Man was I wrong! I've not had a problem with Vista (knock on wood) I may as well just start over and put Vista back on here. I'm done for the night.

Thanks!

I'm running XP Home. I only have the HP recovery disk that the computer made me make a few years ago when I bought the computer.

I looked up MMC and this is what it says:

"Windows XP Service Pack 2 installation failed.
Access is denied.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."

Here is the system info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name ALI
System Manufacturer HP Pavilion 061
System Model PC027A-ABA A600N
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~2082 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.03, 2/9/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)"
User Name ALI\Owner
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,536.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.04 GB
Total Virtual Memory 4.85 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.13 GB
Page File Space 3.35 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Ruby you coming over hooks tonight? If you are I can burn you a copy of XP with SP3 on it.

Heie, I may be going over Hooks tonight. I'll give ya a call and let ya know for sure.

Ang, I am set as the comps main admin. Still no luck. -_-

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=873148 - If you want to try this, I'm guess this is your answer. If you can get the new install CD from Heie, that would work too.

I've looked into this fairly deeply and I keep coming back to that article... let me know the outcome.

I met up with Heie tonight over our friends house and got a copy of XP with SP3 on it already. I just reformated my comp and put that copy of XP on my comp. Comp is working great.... going to install FFXI after windows gets done doing a few updates.

*crosses fingers*

Back