Changes to PlayOnline Member Agreement [Credit Card Billing Change]

Aangeliceus

Kitteh's Meow
FC/Leadership
PlayOnline said:
The following section will be added to the PlayOnline Member Agreement under Article 5 "User Responsibilities" and will take effect as of Jul. 29, 2009:

5.2(e) Credit Card Authentication.
For your protection, SEI now requires that all new credit cards used for Fees be registered with either Verified by Visa(R) or MasterCard SecureCode(R). Please go to www.verifiedbyvisa.com or www.securecode.com to register your credit cards. If you do not register your cards on one of these sites, or if your credit card issuing bank has not signed up with either service, you will not be able to access the PlayOnline services. In such case, please contact your place of purchase for return, refund, or exchange subject to the return and exchange policy of the retailer. If:
(1) your place of purchase is unwilling to accept returns or exchanges of opened software AND
(2) you are unable or unwilling to register with Verified by Visa or MasterCard SecureCard AND
(3) it has been less than 30 days since you purchased the software, AND
(4) you are located in the United States or Canada, THEN you may contact PlayOnline Information Center at (858) 790-PLAY (7529) and request a full refund of your purchase price for the Licensed Software, not including shipping and handling charges. Please note that any refund is discretionary and will be contingent upon SEI's receipt of the complete Licensed Software package and confirmation that your credit card is not compatible with either system.

The PlayOnline Member Agreement can be found under "Rules & Policies" on the FINAL FANTASY XI official website or from "Rules & Policies" within "Service & Support" on the PlayOnline Viewer. Please read them carefully and make sure you understand them before you play the game.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/polnews/news16615.shtml

Does this mean we only have to verify if we change to a different card?

The ABC-123 of this is:

1) If you change your CURRENT method of payment to something else, you will need a card or payment method that is compatible with one of the two noted systems. (ONLY IF YOU ARE PLAYING ON AN NA PlayOnline Account.)

2) If you do not change your CURRENT method of payment, then you do NOT need to do anything at this time.

3) If/when you change your payment details, refer to #1. HOWEVER, if your card is NOT compatible with either of the above systems, then you need to contact PlayOnline Support to register your details manually.

4) If you are new player, with an NA account, you need to have a card that works with these systems. (Does not apply to EU, JP PlayOnline Accounts)

What all this means: No more gift or prepaid cards unless they are compatible with those systems, most likely, they are not. The basic assumption is that this prevents RMT from using prepaid/gift cards from registering new accounts and spamming us with RMT /tells in-game.

This does not impact any other account type, except NA accounts. EU players with NA accounts will have to call PlayOnline and adjust their payment details manually. Really, any player in the world using an NA account that doesn't have a card that works with either of these systems, will have to call PlayOnline to manually update their payment method.

What this means for RMT: They have to use real cards with real people attached to them, thus making it easier for SE to banstick them later on.

In my case, both my Japanese and American bank cards work with both systems.

I'm sure there will be a QQ fest somewhere in the FF world, but I prefer the RMT /tells and other bullshit... GONE from the game. :D

Take it as you may...

Yeah, this is my understanding of their information, based on how it is worded.

The only thing that I'm unsure of is the manual process *IF* you don't have a payment method that is compatible. I'm 99.9% sure they've got that covered, which is why they ask you to call PlayOnline for support in that case.

I already checked other boards and there is much QQ to be had... some people have barely enough IQ to breathe, I think.

my mastercard is citibank... and its not one of the vendor's listed. =\

If it's working now, you don't need to do anything until the card expires. By then, Citi should be up-to-date with that stuff. Otherwise, I'm sure that you can update manually over the phone if need be.

Other Citi entities have this setup, but apparently North America Citibank is lagging behind. :/

Well I'm not too worried yet. My card expires in like 2011.

It does seem a bit odd now to implement some security measure especially now. Why couldn't VISA/MC have done it earlier? Online purchasing could be done well over 10 years ago... and credit card fraud for online purchases have been going on for years as well too.

I think they've been doing it for a while now, I verified my visa card months ago, just SE wasn't taking advantage of it until now.

I can check for you Razor, just pm me the rest of the numbers on that credit card! ;)

talfus, stop taking advantage of innocent FFXI players, you internet predator you!

Back