Building a HTPC

Fodder

Ultima Legacy
*Work in progress, will attach pics later*

I've been mulling the idea of new home theater toys for a while now, and with Ming complaining about the DVDs that are stacked on top of the full DVD rack, around/under the TV, and stuffed in my computer cabinet, I decided now was a good time.

For the HTPC itself, I ordered the below:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=14230067

On the initial build, the motherboard was bad, and fried my wireless USB mouse, and USB memstick, that and the onboard NIC not working resulted in an RMA. I'm expecting the new board soon.

The PCI SATA card was an afterthought. I haven't dealt with really large partitions and Windows before. It was enlightening to discover that while I can make a nifty 4.5TB RAID5 array, MBR can only address 2TB, resulting in epic fail on my part, wasting 2.5TB, and a do over. I spent time digging around and decided to try GPT, which would work with a drive array of this size, however I discovered that you have to convert it to GPT before you install Windows, and to get Windows to install on a GPT drive, you must have a motherboard that supports EFI. Mine doesn't so I was boned with my array size.

My initial idea to get around this was to simply pull a drive from the array, but then found that lolWindows would not allow me to install to the single drive when I had the RAID BIOS loaded. This put me back into the boat I was in on the previous paragraph. It seems with this board it's all or none... I ordered a $20 pci sata card to stick in with one of the raptors out of my old box to use as an OS drive, which will then allow me to format the original 4.5TB array in GPT so Windows can fully utilize all of the space.

I did pull the ram (8GB PC800) from my old PC to stick in this, as well as my Xeon 3.0GHz Wolfdale.

I lapped the CPU and heatsink. The CPU was quick and easy to lap as the material on top of the core is really soft. The HSF was a different story, it's really top heavy so it was hard to keep it stable while I was wet sanding it. It wanted to tip and snag the sand paper. I finally resorted spinning the damnable thing, so lapping took ~2hrs.

The 80mm fans I ordered have rheostats you can use to control fan speed and with those set on low, you simply cannot hear this machine from more than 5-6 feet away unless you really listen for it.

Once I get the new mobo and controller card in, I'll put it back together again and update this. I should be able to store all of my DVDs on this, plus record plenty of HD content.

I must mention the remote before I forget. It's bloody awesome. You program it for activities. I.e., you push "Watch DVD" and it will turn on the TV, change the input to HDMI, turn on the DVD player, turn on the recevier, turn it to DVD input. Then you push volume, and the volume on the receiver goes up/down, push play, the DVD plays, etc. No more remote juggling or switching devices on the universal remote. It was kinda pricey, but damn it's nice. It's great for Ming's mom too. I tried to get her to turn the receiver off after she was done watching the TV for 6 months. Now she pushes the off button, and the remote turns everything off. I currently have it set up for TV, tuner, DVD, PS2, XBox360, Wii, and will add the HTPC when it's done.

I'm going to finish parting out the rest of my gaming rig and Ebay it. I'll stick with this and my laptop for the time being. I think all that is left is the EVGA NV780i motherboard, two 8800GTX superclocked with aftermarket coolers, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI, DVD +/-RW, 850w OCZ PSU, and three WD RaptorX 150GB HDDs.

I must mention the remote before I forget. It's bloody awesome. You program it for activities. I.e., you push "Watch DVD" and it will turn on the TV, change the input to HDMI, turn on the DVD player, turn on the recevier, turn it to DVD input. Then you push volume, and the volume on the receiver goes up/down, push play, the DVD plays, etc. No more remote juggling or switching devices on the universal remote. It was kinda pricey, but damn it's nice. It's great for Ming's mom too. I tried to get her to turn the receiver off after she was done watching the TV for 6 months. Now she pushes the off button, and the remote turns everything off. I currently have it set up for TV, tuner, DVD, PS2, XBox360, Wii, and will add the HTPC when it's done.
Sounds like a nice setup man!

The main problem I have with universal remotes is that while it can turn all of them off/on with one button, be careful that the remote is pointing directly at your systems. Nothing worse than having tv/tuner on, hitting the button, and having tv/tuner turning off and xbox, ps2, wii, etc turning on. I have my On button set to turn everything on, but the off button will only fuction for each thing individually. Neat thing is you can use the off button as the on button when you only want certain things. On button I use when I'm throwing a party as I'll use mostly everything.

But yeah, wish I had the cake to set something like this up! Very jealous. lol Grats!

I have one of those universal remotes too, got one for Elvi & my mom-in-law. Fabulous. Programmed on the PC too. Great b/c if it gets dropped in the drink by a little terror, buy a new one & download all the programming.. 5 min to working remote.

@ Talf ~ mine has a Help button which takes you through each device/input option for w/e activity you're doing if something doesn't get turned on. (The Help first re-does the "turn on/switch activity, then asks, Did that fix the problem?) Plus I can set delays for each one individually! Since the TV takes 20+ seconds to turn on, I love the delay setting.

Do you have all the hard drives in a tower for your raid? Just becareful if they are close to each other cause of the heat. Friend of mine did that and sat them all next each other and 3 out of the 5 went up within a 2 month period cause of heat. He now built a box with 10 HD between 2 raid cards and got 30 inch IDE cables for them and rigged up a 2nd power supply that is outside of the PC. He cut some metal pieces to mount them on and put them in wooden box and put a hole for a box fan to blow air through it. Its some frankenstine built stuff but it works great and he has 9TB file server now on his home network.

"There's no way I'll ever use up 1.8TB of disk space."

That's what I said a while back when I added my drives. PC connected to HDTV + torrents
+ great connection + HD fetish = me looking for a drive solution to store even more shit.

I haven't purchased a DVD in nearly 2 years but have a better movie collection than most people :icecream:Hell, I had the dark knight from a bluray rip before it was even for sale.

I need more space :mad:

@ Talf ~ mine has a Help button which takes you through each device/input option for w/e activity you're doing if something doesn't get turned on. (The Help first re-does the "turn on/switch activity, then asks, Did that fix the problem?) Plus I can set delays for each one individually! Since the TV takes 20+ seconds to turn on, I love the delay setting.
I have one of those $50 universal remotes. Want one of the $150.00+ ones so I can do timed on/off. Sucks I'm broke. lol

Back