Bard questions, if you would assist, please.

Ravel

Mayor of Vomp Hill
Hey, gang,

I've been grinding up bard to counter Onorok's dancer and it's been all well and good, for the most part. Last night, however, got me thinking. It was the first time I pulled reflecting colibris with no other healing support.

There was very little time to cycle through the threnody elemental wheel to level harp skill and, admittedly, even singing skill took a minor hit. It was the first time that I leveled without all the magic skills capped. How do you balance this as you move towards endgame and the increase in pulling speed?

A corollary to this is "what song to pull with?". I was using fire threnody (to level singing and wind or horn) so that it wouldn't have a major impact on me or the party when it was reflected (elegy wouldn't stick anyway).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

When I was lvling brd, I really didn't worry too much about keeping my instruments skilled. I used harp for dispelling and sleeping, which I had to do plenty of. For me that generally did the trick, but if you are still having trouble keeping it capped, sit in town with your harp out playing carols, minuets, etc. That should help you make up the difference.

As for pulling, I use elegy for several reasons. It has a decently fast cast time. When you get the timing down on it, you can get a couple of extra steps back to camp and still have it go off. Also, let's not forget that Carnage Elegy is a great slow to land at the start of the fight and it generally lasts the entire fight.

I'm not sure what lvl you are, but you might start pulling with elegy and then use threnody as a backup for when the recast on elegy is down. I hope that helps.

When I was lvling brd, I really didn't worry too much about keeping my instruments skilled. I used harp for dispelling and sleeping, which I had to do plenty of. For me that generally did the trick, but if you are still having trouble keeping it capped, sit in town with your harp out playing carols, minuets, etc. That should help you make up the difference.

As for pulling, I use elegy for several reasons. It has a decently fast cast time. When you get the timing down on it, you can get a couple of extra steps back to camp and still have it go off. Also, let's not forget that Carnage Elegy is a great slow to land at the start of the fight and it generally lasts the entire fight.

I'm not sure what lvl you are, but you might start pulling with elegy and then use threnody as a backup for when the recast on elegy is down. I hope that helps.

Yep. I'm on elegy, I just don't want to be affected by it, which is why I used the threnody last night...then I remembered that bards sub ninja for colibris at 74+ (I'm only 60).

Depending on how fast you are going through mobs, getting hit by elegy probably isn't going to be that big of a deal for you. The only thing you are really going to have to worry about is your elegy recast timer.

To skill up stringed/wind/singing just go into sea and cast elegy/threnodys on Hpedme. They'll just sit there and stare at you while you get free skill ups.

To skill up stringed/wind/singing just go into sea and cast elegy/threnodys on Hpedme. They'll just sit there and stare at you while you get free skill ups.

This is interesting. They don't cause them to attack you at all? Can you do this with, say, aspir or gravity to level black magic skill?

Last edited:
You can effectively sub NIN on BRD before 74, trust me. You don't need your shadows all that often. Elegy pull ftw, saves time^^.

-benny

This is interesting. They don't cause them to attack you at all? Can you do this with, say, aspir or gravity to level black magic skill?

they're also useful for skilling Divine magic, just Flash them repeatedly.

ok cujo has the best avatar EVER my string atm i think is like 208 only string instrument i used for a long time is threnody but now i use the weak arse +2 sleep one for salvage

In all xp situations where you are pulling you should use /nin sub. Your shadow will absorb the elegy they cast back at you and helps the melee a ton having elegy on them. If you get hit with an elegy its no big deal.

In all xp situations where you are pulling you should use /nin sub. Your shadow will absorb the elegy they cast back at you and helps the melee a ton having elegy on them. If you get hit with an elegy its no big deal.

It seems to me that in levels where kills are slower that /whm is more beneficial than /nin, especially as a galka with no backup healer or healing party member (dnc or /dnc).

It does depend on the party situation. In the original case Ravel mentioned, he had "no other healing support." To me, that definitely says /whm. Even when Elegy gets reflected on you, it's not a huge deal. If your Elegy isn't ready for the next pull, then toss a threnody. But you'll be using elegy most of the time to help out your party, and you'll be able to throw some cures when needed.

Melees being melees means cures will always be needed at some point. :p

i always used brd/whm when i lvled i usually pulled with no buffs on unless the pull was far away or the mob was really fast. If that was the case i put up stoneskin. I always pulled with an elegy and i never used string eventhough it was capped at all times. I found wind instruments to have a higher success rate than string. Threnody will always slow you down so if carnage doesnt work got with the first elegy. Another thing that helped alot was the distance plug in for windower. If that is still available try to get it i believe the max distance for elegy was like 19.9.

PS
How is the new expansion and do u guys in ultima still play often?

I pulled with elegy still mate, my macro has both elegy songs in them so if carnage isn't ready by next pull battlefield was. At your level anyways.

i always used brd/whm when i lvled i usually pulled with no buffs on unless the pull was far away or the mob was really fast. If that was the case i put up stoneskin. I always pulled with an elegy and i never used string eventhough it was capped at all times. I found wind instruments to have a higher success rate than string. Threnody will always slow you down so if carnage doesnt work got with the first elegy. Another thing that helped alot was the distance plug in for windower. If that is still available try to get it i believe the max distance for elegy was like 19.9.

PS
How is the new expansion and do u guys in ultima still play often?

I will say whatever you want to hear if you log on and play again. I MISS YOU WINDIAN YOU PIECE OF SHIT.

Going to Hi-jack Rav's thread ;o

What group 1 merits do you guys have for Bard?

Unlike most other jobs Bard has some nice ones :\

Back