Ballista Testing - Saturday 23JUN07?

Consensus seems to be that Quick Draw does not have any effect on status bolt effects, songs, or BLU spell effects - only white and black magic. The big thing that stands out is that the debuff enhancements still take effect when the shot actually misses - probably a mistake on SE's part, but a handy trick for COR's until they fix it :p

it also seems that for most party and even HNM situtation, light and dark shot provide the greatest benifit to the party. Aside from not doing the extra 200 or so dmg from a elemental shot that inflicts damage.

So i can stop carrying around one of every freaking card and just get decks of light and dark.

Aside from not doing the extra 400+ or so dmg from a elemental shot that inflicts damage.

fixed

also, as far as I can tell, he didn't test with earth and ice shots on slow and para since that test has already been done.

Last edited:
COR without earth and ice cards will face my wrath just like mages without echo drops.

SO. ANGRY.

:p

-benny

If 500+ dmg was any sort of "typical" dmg from QD then i'd agree with you. So far 500 dmg is only obtainable on an IT mob with a number of rare/ex Magic Attack gears, blm sub, a blm in your party with an 11 Wizards Roll and if the stars align perfect you might hit somewhere in the 400 - 500 range.

In an HNM/God fight your chances are reduced even more. And still the only time i've seen someone post a SS of that kind of dmg was for epeen purposes on EP mobs with the above setup. 200 to 250 is typical dmg from QD in my experience, which in my opinion is nothing to pop a boner over. I'd rather up everyone elses dmg output with light shot.

Joanna has had more HNM experience on 75 COR then i have though, i'd be interested to hear from her how much dmg she usually puts out.

Incedently i keep stacks of ice and earth cards on me at all times. It just seems like half the mobs you exp off now a days, either don't last long enough to benifit from either of those shots or don't have paralyze or slow cast on them due to reflect.

We didn't do any tests on Slow or Para that day, we only tested Bard and BLU para/slow spells. I would assume that earth and ice cards would be at least worth having, to help boost white magic Slow/Para. Thunder and Fire really seem to have very little use, Water not much either. Ice (Para), Earth (Slow), and Wind (Gravity) should probably be available if at all possible, and definitely have Light and Dark. The particularly nice thing about Dark is (and correct me if I'm wrong), if Bio and Blind are both on a mob, Dark Shot will give you more bang for your buck.

Another thing I just thought of is we need to test Ninjitsu debuffs to see if they're affected. Not only the elemental cycle, but also Hojo et al (Hojo being the easiest to test, but if it works, we can assume Doku/Jubaku/Kurayami all work too).

Incedently i keep stacks of ice and earth cards on me at all times. It just seems like half the mobs you exp off now a days, either don't last long enough to benifit from either of those shots or don't have paralyze or slow cast on them due to reflect.

It's generally safe to assume that I'm always thinking in terms of HNM fights. I don't have the slightest idea what a COR should do in a merit PT^^;.

-benny

COR is great for HNM, but I have yet to party/merit with one who didn't suck in general. I look forward to Arch showing me what COR can do.

COR in Merit is Fighter's Roll + Rogue's Roll. I think myself and Archain were over 20% crits in our subpar meripo the other day.

We also work will in BLM burns with HMP Up, magic attack, magic accuracy and Refresh. We can come close to filling a BRD spot. We just can't sleep stuff fast enough.

Fodder, i'd love the opportunity to find out if i suck in meripo's or not. What do you define as a COR "sucking" in meripo

Suck = not keeping rolls on, not pulling effectively, not sleeping adds, and not doing any damage. Essentially being the drag that holds the party back. I think it is reasonable to expect a "good" COR to do 3 of the 4 things I listed above in a merit pt. They can only roll once a minute (barring merits) which should give them time to *shoot* (not melee with a dagger...) and do some damage or go pull another mob depending on their role in the pt.

If you feel you bring out the goodness COR has to offer I'd be happy to merit with you. I just haven't been impressed with the ones I have partied/merited with so far which is sad because the job has incredible abilities and utility.

when i'm pulling in a good meripo as COR, i typically don't have time to do much DMG, as they are dieying as fast as i can pull them and sometimes don't have QD up so i temp tank. I'm ususally rolling while the mobs bieng attacked then trying to time the pull right so my sleep shot will be up or deciding whether or not to temp tank it till the party is ready. Since reaching 75 my sleep shot has become incredibly consistent, which takes some of the guess work out of pulling.

If a BRD is pulling i typically melle with joytoy as its faster to build tp this way and does more dmg. then I slug and barrage as much as possible. Against a RNG, WAR, THF i'll manage 12-15% of the total overall dmg. Its not great, but it makes up for the added dmg a 2nd brd would bring to the table in the same spot.

I found an app called yarnball that keeps track of what rolls i have up and how much time tiill they wear, i've found it helpfull with my roll management.

I've been told by random party members that i do a better job then other COR's they've partied with and have been getting invites from repeat people while /anon and non seeking. So i guess i'm doing something right. Well i need the merits so i'm willing to give it a shot.

Last edited:
I "meritted" with Arch as COR 73 a few days ago, and we did all right. Setup was NIN/WAR DRG/SAM COR/RNG THF/NIN RDM/WHM BRD/NIN. We were at the middle Colibri camp, and pulled in ~26k in 90 minutes using Empress Ring. Best chain was like 20ish I think... we ran out of mobs a couple times, BRD died once from pulling from the lower level and getting a shit-ton of links, NIN died once from an unlucky Pecking Fury. I kept Evoker's, Rogue's and Corsair's up. I used sushi, subbed my lolgimp 35 RNG (with /anon up of course) and the BRD pulled. I meleed with Joyeuse and let Slugs go at 100% TP with Martial Gun. I saved QD for helping the BRD with pulling/sleeping adds... I didn't QD for damage unless we were having a slow kill and I sensed an impending chain break. My Slugs were very accurate for a lvl 73 (missed 2?) and averaged around 700-750 with pretty meh gear (Breeze Gorget, 2 marks merits, R.ATT+27 from gear). With Joyeuse and BRD pulling, I was able to get off a Slug pretty much every fight. Barrages topped off at around 500-600dmg.

I feel like I did ok damage-wise... I had Minuet/March on, no Prelude, no Haste. I'm sure Arch parsed the fight, and I'd love to see how I did. Assuming it's not embarassingly pathetic. :tounge-3:

P.S. Pending the results of Arch's parse, I'd be happy to attempt to improve your opinion of COR, too, Fodder. ^^

Last edited:
From what I've been reading up on COR, Joyeuse TP gain with slugshot spam at 100% with Martial does seem to be the best dmg, but I guess some lowbie Corsairs try to apply the same knowledge ('-'?) or bullets are 'too expensive' for them. Since picking my nin up at 32 til now (59 as of this posting) I have partied with about a dozen Corsair, and none of them have really impressed me ,_, I keep inviting them thinking maybe they get better at higher lvls, or I'll find a good one, but meh. Maybe its a hard class to play effectively?

Then again, some people are downright lazy. Corsair in our pt the other night was rolling off lucky numbers (I.e. Lucky Number 4, was on 4, and he rolled again...) and busting left and right. When asked, he said it was because he didn't know the lucky numbers... Even though they're in the JA descriptions <_< OH well...

Jotaru said:
Then again, some people are downright lazy. Corsair in our pt the other night was rolling off lucky numbers (I.e. Lucky Number 4, was on 4, and he rolled again...) and busting left and right. When asked, he said it was because he didn't know the lucky numbers... Even though they're in the JA descriptions <_< OH well...
WUT

PT LEADER>> Hey THF, why are you SAing the mob from the front?
NOOP THF>> i dun no wair too SA frum

What you got, boots?

61.25 now, got Slade (WAR, same xp as me) and Cyndel (I think 60 now?) that I've been pt'ing with recently, along with a few different people.. So many less people levelling jobs lately you kinda get to know everyone in your LFM range. Generally making pt's is pretty quick (quicker if you join back in as that cuts down on a member) and camps are close as hell, <3 TAU zones. And +xp. And Sanction. omg.

What I don't <3 however is tanking Colibri a level or two too low, unable to eat food, with no debuffer in pt ; ;

Back