Another weird computer issue

Eticket

Pointy Stick
FC/Active Member
Ok so the last two days I've had an odd problem.

My laptop is just shutting off for no apparent reason.

I don't get any errors or performance issues.

It acts almost like it would if it was shutting the screen off to save power, except the entire system just flips off.

No shutdown message or cool down, it's just like someone flips a switch.

All the power settings seem ok and it doesn't seem to be overheating.

Any other ideas?

Overheating? Does the bottom of the laptop feel extremely warm? I would check and make sure the vents aren't blocked with dust and that there is a free flow of warm air out. If you are savvy enough to open the laptop and check if the vents are clogged, then give it a shot. Just about all laptops/desktops are designed to shut off instantly once they reach a certain internal temperature.

Otherwise, wait for more suggestion that are more software related.

I had an issue like this with a Laptop that eventually died, afterwards I opened it up and found that the fan on the video card had a nice dog-hair-ball in it... effectively preventing it from spinning... hehe

I put some temp sensor software on it and it looks like nothing ever gets above 46c.

I called Gateway and after dealing with the worst IVR ever and about 3 or 4 reps managed to narrow it down to the power supply or a software issue. Unfortunately, I put Windows 7 on it and didn't save the recovery partition. So I have to dig around for discs or order them from Gateway. Once I get it reset and prove that it's the power supply then they'll have me send it in.

Looking back, the power supply makes a lot of sense because we had a random surge or brownout just before this happened and the laptop was plugged in at the time.

Back