-.-

Falkieri

Gone and back again.. and again..
FC/Active Member
~Taken from Allakanoob Main page

I received a phone call from SOE tonight to give me some pretty amazing -- and unsettling -- news. SOE’s Station Exchange is now live. Station Exchange you ask? Oh no, is that what I think it is? Yes, Sony is now going to start allowing players to officially auction items and cash for real live money. Initially, it will be limited to two new servers they are creating for Everquest 2, with existing players being given the right to transfer to those servers where they can buy and sell with officially sanctioned impunity. However, this is just the experimental stage. It is clear from the FAQ that if this proves to be financially successful, there is no reason not to think that this experiment will eventually be expanded to all of EQ2 as well as SOE’s other games, which include Everquest, Star Wars Galaxies and even possibly, given their large ownership share of Square-Enix, Final Fantasy XI. IGE, meet SOE.

Is this the end of online gaming as we know it? Or is it just a natural and inevitable development? I know I personally feel a need for a strong adult beverage right about now. Feel free to post your feedback and opinions.

Update. After I posted this, SOE posted a letter from John Smedley about it on their site. Here's the letter.

What a load of shizz.. How long I wonder, before this happens with FFXI........ Sounds like they're saying "If you can't beat them, join them"

Better SOE control the offline buying/selling of ingame stuff than a 3rd party group like IGE. The reason for this is SOE still wants their customers to play the game, so they do whatever it takes to NOT screw the system up by allowing certain players to completely monopolize certain items.

Back