Yes! Chrono Trigger 3 announced, Chrono Online MMORPG!

Neodevilbane

Master of the Martini
Well, no, not really, but wouldn't it be awesome?

A Chrono Trigger-based MMORPG where you can live/XP/craft/quest/do-whatever in a world where you can also travel between not only TIME but ALTERNATE DIMENSIONS. How freaking awesome could that be?

Neodevilbane said:
A Chrono Trigger-based MMORPG where you can live/XP/craft/quest/do-whatever in a world where you can also travel between not only TIME but ALTERNATE DIMENSIONS. How freaking awesome could that be?

errr... Sounds a lot like... ffxi... live/xp/craft/quest/do-whatever. Including travel to dynamis (sounds like a alternate dimension/time) :p

Like Dynamis, maybe, but imagine if you could walk through the gate at, say, Dynamis-Bastok (which is actually Bastok Mines) and enter Dynamis-South Gustaberg from which you could then go up into Dynamis-Konschat Highlands and eventually Dynamis-Valkurm Dunes and such -- a true alternate dimension without restrictions or time limits. FFXI has no real alternate dimension... you can't just pick up and go to Dynamis any time you want solo -- it's timed, requires a massive, massive number of people, a lot of gil, and when it all comes to it it's really just a mini-game.

But that's just talking dimensions. Tack on time travel on top of that... say Chrono Online has 2 dimensions for the game world and maybe 5 or 6 different time periods for either dimension... infinite possibilities.

As an example...

Too many people at (?) XP camp in your absolute favorite spot? No problem, just go to the same camp a century before or after, camp is open!

It would be nice to have whole worlds set in different times, with mobs unique to the time period, not just pallette swapped models in different zones. Also time spanning quests involving npc ancestors that can alter the main story depending on choices made! It would be nice to actually get involved in the story, making it unique to your experience, rather than just action/cutscene/action/cutscene that you know everyone else is looking at.

damn you neo...i got excited there for a second... :arg:

I would play it

Then again I'd probably play anything with the word "Chrono" attached to it now;_;

will they ever again achieve the lofty height of truly fun gameplay that was Chrono Trigger...?

-benny

benny said:
I would play it

Then again I'd probably play anything with the word "Chrono" attached to it now;_;

will they ever again achieve the lofty height of truly fun gameplay that was Chrono Trigger...?

-benny

Benny is getting poetic... you know he's serious.

While I wouldn't say Chrono Trigger was the pinnacle of the single-player RPG, I understand where Benny's coming from. Actually, if you really think back right now, Chrono Trigger actually sort of began SE's gradual trend towards slowly dumbing down their RPGs.

Let's not kid ourselves, the game is easily beatable and play time isn't entirely formidable.

*However* ... the game has an amazingly captivating story, plenty of twists, believable relationships, and throw in the complexities of time-travel to different periods as an inter-connecting backdrop... and you're sold. I know I was.

What Chrono Trigger should have been was a *beginning*. A direction they should have taken to then improve upon and perfect and follow up these solid stories and characters with a better battle system, more complexities in the way you can customize your character(s), maybe up the difficulty, etc..

Chrono Cross was an excellent sequel but SE has let the series flatline since then, so idk wtf... I'd thought they'd make a sequel once PS2 had hit its prime, but that's long gone now, continuing a trend of 1 game per system (SNES, PS1, PS2).

Hopefully XBox 360?

I was filled with glee right before I clicked this topic... now i'm sad :blue-cry:

I think SE should implement a random world swapping capacity to make up for lack of inter-dimensional travel outside of Dynamis.

Restrict it based upon the different server sizes and then create some very random out of the way teleports. If you choose to enter one it randomly moves you across servers.

I'm sure that would be nearly impossible programming wise and data wise but it would sure be amusing.

"Hey where'd Tim go?" "WTF, did that moron go into that stupid ass server-port, OMG he owes me 398gil"

I honestly wouldn't want them to make a Chrono series MMO. I was all excited when FFXI came out, but I was completely oblivious to what a MMO really was...or how much time it took up :p I think making an MMO as a part of a series that is predominantly single-player RPG's is a mistake, personally.

But a new regular Chrono series RPG @_@ <Yes, please.>

Edit: Believe it or not Garret, something similar is in the works, though it sounds to be actually less restrictive that what you're suggesting:

Community: Are there any plans to transfer characters between worlds whenever the player wishes?
Sage Sundi: Actually we do have a plan in place. When we recreate the billing system at the end of the year, then we can start creating new systems like world shifting. For instance, GM's have the ability to move characters between servers so all we need to do is connect those systems with the billing system. So yes, we have started working on that.

Taken from http://na.square-enix.com/events/ffxi/tour2005/ny/transcript.html

Last edited:
I'm going to transfer to Asura for a day just so I can hear Guan's beautiful voice again <3

WTF? World-Shifting?

I am not getting the ToD's for HNM's across 20 whatever different servers, FUCK THAT!

Back