Writing a fantasy novel

Xerlaoth

Profaner of Isis
FC/Active Member
if any of you are nerds like me (i'm lookin at you benny) and read fantasy novels, i'm gathering info for this project

i got the idea to make a novel with characters based on people i know, i have my basic plot

goal was to start on new years day and write at least one page per day for a year, was my new years resolution lol

anyways, if anyone here reads such novels let me know what kinda stuff you like and don't like in your books, also can include video game stuff or fantasy movies, because i'm taking elements from all that stuff. i'm putting in lots of references to the more popular video game moments (the intro is a nod to the chrono trigger intro)

k i'm getting ranty so, if anyone knows any stuff they hate about fantasy stories, or anything they love about them and don't see enough of, plz let me know here. thanks

5 gil says at the end of the year he has 10 pages of Harlequin style Xerlaoth the Barbarian meets Aze the Warrior Princess smut!

:( got 4 pages done so far and i'm not even in it mean fod

gogo xer

email me versions? don't really have many ideas but sounds interestin. talk to ol' jonez, he may have some pirate themes for ye.

I read lots of fantasy and sci-fi novels. Got subscriptions to Analog and Fantasy and sci-fi magazines.

I think my favorite types of stories are ones with lots of cleverly integrated wit. The serious stories about alien diseases and stuff really turn me off. I think the key to sci-fi writing is knowing where you are going with the story before you start it.

Also, doing scientific research on your topics will really help to enhance the believability of it. You know its not true, but people can connect with a story if they think it possibly "could" be true. Nothing is worse than a story with scientific holes in it or unexplained phenomena (For instance: "Our ship was hit and started to tumble towards the unknown planet. The last thing I remember was a distant scream before I was thrust into the wall and knocked unconcious" Doesnt make sense because artificial gravity as well as regular gravity only works in 1 direction (toward the source of pull) so a ship tumbling in space would have no effect on your position relative to the gravity source. (The ship would be tumbling, but you would not be able to feel it) so... "Red lights blared everywhere around me as the torpedo severed the ship's mainframe and artificial gravity powersources. The last thing I remember was a distant scream before I was thrust into the wall and knocked unconcious." would seem more believable.) I know its nitpicky stuff, but you are writing to science afficionatos when you write science fiction, and we are terrible when it comes to picking stuff like that apart. I suppose thats why Jules Verne was such a master. Good sci-fi is in the story, GREAT sci-fi is in the details.

i never read that wheel of time stuff, what you mean fod?

Take a story that should be 6 books long and turn it into a friggin 20 book marathon by stuffing it so full of useless shit you can't hardly follow the story anymore.

In fantasy novels, I enjoy graphic description of interesting/important events, places, people, etc. ~ usually stuff that comes on a whim.

I dislike authors who reuse words and phrases when, with a touch of creativity, they could give "other names" (i.e. Trewgle = Hardcore gothic BLM = Sweet lipped deciever = etc.).

Last edited:
Back