Wireless Router

Falkieri

Gone and back again.. and again..
FC/Active Member
So I just got my laptop and wireless router today. I run the configuration CD and get hung up when the system tries to detect the router though... Called tech support and they ran me through the same crap that the CD did.. no help at all. If anyone knows how to set these damned things up, hop on ultima chat and help me out.

Trying to connect to it to set it up using a Wireless connection or Ethernet cable?

Which brand is the router? If its Linksys or Netgear connect to it with a cable and type in 192.168.1.1 or try 192.168.0.1.

I got a bad router at first when I moved several months ago. It was a wired router from Linksys, but drove me crazy going through Tech support for a long time just to be told to take it back to where I got it from.

~Pitlith

So after using 2 seperate configuration utilities that didn't work, talking to Dell, Bellsouth, and Linksys Customer support, also ransacking various troubleshooting guides.. Linksys sent me a 9 million page report on troubleshooting every one of their routers. Hunted mine down on there, and it had one little detail that nothing else had me try. Works like a charm now.^^ (Thanks Ekan and Valgavv for putting up with my newb questions)

They (Linksys) were having me use the CD installation that didn't work, because the modem wasn't detecting the router. Then they had me use an online self-help configuration utility that had the same problem. Then they had me try doing hard-resets of the modem, router, modem+router and that didn't work. Finally they told me it was defective and to have it replaced.

So then I contacted Dell (who I ordered it from) and they had me do the CD configuration yet again, which still solved nothing. They told me to contact Linksys (been there done that) and finally told me they'd ship me a replacement.

Contacted Bellsouth (my ISP) for shits and giggles to see if maybe there were something on their end that was preventing the modem from communicating with the Router. They told me I had to bridge the modem first in order to use the router which we tried, and didn't work. And, yet again, they told me the router was defective and I should have it replaced.

Later that night I checked my e-mail and saw that Linksys had sent me a huge Troubleshooter e-mail. Found that all I had to do (and NONE of the tech support folks told me about) was run the Modem to the router and router to the computer as normal. Then power everything down.. power the Router up, then the computer and run default router ID in a browser to access the config menu of the router. Set it up to PPPOE (or something like that) then power everything down again. Lastly power up modem, then router, then computer.. and viola!

Translation: I had forgotten to connect the router to my modem.

Dont use those damn cd's those shit are useless just log into it and do ur shit there

Lastingfear: No I had connected it initially. The only difference between what Tech Support was telling me to do, and what the Troubleshooter guide said to do was to leave the modem power OFF when attempting to use the router ID in a browser to access its configuration utility.

Ken: Same deal. With the modem power ON I couldn't connect to the router at all, whether using the CD or not.

One tiny detail that no one bothered to try is all that was causing the problem.

gald you got it workin' Falk... but it's funny (I had a simular prob) when I was workin' with you that night, I didn't power down anything lol I left everything on and connected my wireless router to the modem and computer to the router, and I was able to connect to the online configuration immediately.. so wtf lol..... I'm still thinkin' it's that bs installation software for both the modem and the router lol...

Back