Windows

Moravius

Lifelover
FC/Active Member
This isn't really a major issue, just really annoying. I know a bit about computers but due to the integrity of the A+ course offered at my school, the stuff I know isn't very extensive. :hmm: Anyways..

Back in the Fall I had an issue with a sasser virus. I had reformatted my computer so my Windows XP version was out of date, and that's why it hit me (so I'm to understand). It would get me when I signed online and would eat up my bandwidth, and would mess with lsass.exe causing my computer to reboot forcibly.

Seemingly it also infected me with some malicious software that prevents my Windows automatic updates from... updating (so the sasser can continue to affect me). It comes up every time I run Spybot and Ad-Aware and such, but can never be deleted. I'm guessing because it's rooted somewhere in a Windows file. I also tried to update Windows with www.microsoft.com but when the download window comes up it instantly fails. The only way I stopped the sasser from bugging me was setting up a basic Firewall, so my bandwidth is safe but I still can't update and stuff.

So uh.. anyone of you computer smart people (Aa, Kalia, Stel) have any suggestions? :badshape:

Are you positive that it's Sasser, and that you don't have some other sort of virus?

What type of virus protection software do you have?

What are the symptoms? Any stupid notepad pop up messages or phrases that pop up when you restart? It seems like you will probably just need to run a simple tool to get rid of it. As soon as you can tell me the things I need to know I can pretty much just point you in the direction of an .EXE file that will rid you of it, or a set of manual directions at the very least.

I'm pretty sure, I used this link here and it "solved" my problem. And the virus software I had, Panda, would give me an alert saying something about SASSER-lsass or something along those lines was detected. Soon after that I would get the shutdown message and had to use shutdown -a in the run prompt to stop it.

Currently I have no virus protection because my subscriptions ran out on Panda and Norton. >_> So I just stay firewalled and don't download a lot.

Hmm, did all that, still no auto-updates and manual updates from microsoft.com still fail. :blah:

Reformat your computer, put in a bootable floppy disk, type "fdisk /mbr" from a command prompt, run windows setup, delete all your partitions, reinstall windows.

I wouldn't suggest reformatting if it's still fixable, but kalia is very right. It's a very quick and easy and guaranteed fix for anything software. It's what I do for most of my clients when I don't feel like dealing with all of the bullshit they have. As a last resort I would attempt to resinstall windows over your current version to see if it could be something stupid like a registry error or some fucked up file somewhere in your system. If that doesn't work, just dust it like kalia suggested. It's a surefire fix and you'll be on your way quicker than you will be by trying everything that you can try to get rid of that shit.

Was afraid you guys were going to tell me to reformat. lol ~_~

Sucks I'm inaccessible to anything but dial-up. :badshape:

If you have a 2nd drive or something that you can use, I suggest you replicate your FFXI directory on that and recopy it after the install. Checking files is not any faster on DSL/Cable than it is on 28k/56k. So the only real part you'll have to wait longer for is the downloading, which is never more than 300-500 files. A standard update, only the update servers won't be so bogged down...

Back