Windows update danger

furax

Chikubi
FC/Leadership
People with Windows 7 please be careful. Microsoft Windows Kernel 'Win32k.sys' CVE-2014-0318 Local Privilege Escalation Vulnerability, which was released yesterday, nuked my computer and forced me to restore from backup. You will see a BSOD error in win32k.sys. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. Thankfully I back up my PC every week on Sunday.
DO NOT INSTALL KB2982791 OR KB2976897 ON YOUR SYSTEM IF YOU SEE THEM IN WINDOWS UPDATE.
Original vuln website: https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms14-045

Thanks for the update we have two computers on 7 and 2 on 8. I will pass the warning on to Leon.

Argh afraid to try and start my windows 7 computer.. it does automatic updates O.O

I strongly urge everyone to go into your control panel, click on Backup and Recovery, and set up a backup schedule for your PC to run at least once per week on a Sunday or Monday. Get a cheap external hard drive, it only has to be 100GB or more, and plug it in via USB or eSATA and just leave it there; or point the backup to save to a secondary hard drive and set a storage limit. 100GB is enough for at least a month worth of FULL backups of your operating system hard drive. It's invaluable when things like this happen and doubly important if you have your PC automatically installing updates.

It's usually pretty rare to have this happen, but the auto-update can screw you over pretty quickly.

I didn't seem to have any issues, luckily.

Back