Windows 7 - Release Candidate - Available Now

Aangeliceus

Kitteh's Meow
FC/Leadership
Windows 7 is now available for all users, free for one year.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

You will need to do a clean install, but you basically get the full version, for free use during the next year.

Microsoft said:
Watch the calendar. The RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start. To avoid interruption, you’ll need to install a non-expired version of Windows before March 1, 2010. You’ll also need to install the programs and data that you want to use.

This version that is being released now is pretty much complete and won't change too much prior to the RTM date of the actual release.

Windows 7 Beta has been great for me, gonna run with Windows 7 RC for the whole year and then decide if it's worth upgrading to the normal retail version next year.

Post here if you have any questions about how to use the ISO file or do a clean install. If you were looking for a reason to upgrade XP or dump Vista, this is looking like a good option.

Dual boxing does not yet work with Windower on Win7, so if you run 2 chararacters I'd suggest holding off a bit.

I installed it on my HTPC and get 16 fps now instead of the 4 fps I had on Vista.

Dual Boxing does work with Windower v4 ~ It just doesn't have all the fancy addons you'd might like to have.

There is a bug with v4 where it won't save your profile settings under W7, but you can launch at least two POL's that works very stable. Laptop can't really handle more than two, but it does work.

I'm guessing they'll be getting Windower v4 or v3 more Windows 7 capable now that a RC version is out. Will have to keep watching their news section...

I have a ss of it around here somewhere.

Here's an updated SS of Win7 and tri-boxing three accounts with CPU load indicated.

All the default Windower plugins appear to work, but I don't use the following:

TParty
LightLuggage
Timestamp
Logger
Silence
Chatmon

If you elect to use Win7 and Windower with FFXI, you'll need to use Windower v3.42.2. You can just download the new hook.dll file and replace the existing copy in your Windower folder. The link for this is here: http://forums.windower.net/index.php?showtopic=14842

My SS is here: http://www.ultimals.com/images/win7ffxi.jpg (big)

You'll need to run the Windower as Administrator as per the instructions in the first post of that Windower.net post.

The machine stats for the W7 screen shot is a Intel Quad Core, 2GB ram and NIVIDIA 9800 GT w/ default Win7 NVIDIA beta drivers.

I'd go nuts without Silence...saves me so much scrolling up to catch up on conversations.

I know it's only in the moghouse but still decent looking numbers for 3 boxing with all visible.

I will just say.. that I love windows 7

I just downloaded both the 32 and 64 bit versions. I'm a little worried about doing a fresh install...Worried meaning I hate to reinstall everything.

It's really a good idea to dual boot if you are unsure.

Add a 2nd hard drive or something... This machine as shown above is in dual-boot between XP and Win7.

I will get some time to really grind it around on Thursday, I normally only run two accounts per machine. Three windows in very active areas would bog the machine down greatly.

I've been also using Windows 7 and its awesome for performance in comparison to Vista, I didn't do a clean install though, I just upgraded from Vista.. with Data Migration..

omfg Corvac!

IGN.com said:
June 25, 2009 - Microsoft announced pricing for Windows 7 today, its upcoming operating system that is scheduled to be released on October 22. The news was released on The Windows Blog, and Microsoft provided the pricing scheme for all three versions of Windows, including full and upgrade prices. The full version of Windows 7 Home Premium package in the United States is $199.99; Windows 7 Professional is $299.99; Windows 7 Ultimate is $319.99. If you currently own Windows Vista or XP and are looking to upgrade, there are reduced upgrade prices: Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade is $119.99; Windows 7 Professional upgrade is $199.99; and Windows 7 Ultimate is $219.99. This upgrade price is approximately 10-percent cheaper upgrades for earlier versions of Windows.

Microsoft also announced a special preorder for US, Canadian, and Japanese customers which allows them the opportunity to pre-order Windows 7 at a significant discount. Starting tomorrow, customers in these three countries will be able to pre-order Windows 7 Home Premium for $49.99 or Windows 7 Professional for $99.99. This pre-order program will run from June 26 to July 5 in Japan and June 26 to July 11 in the United States and Canada. UK, French, and German customers will have to wait until July 15 through August 14 to take advantage of the deals, although there was no pricing listed for those countries.

Additionally, there was an announcement for customers who purchase new computers before Windows 7 is released. Similar to the upgrade option program that existed for Vista, Microsoft announced that starting on June 26, anyone who purchases a computer with Windows Vista Home Premium, Business, or Ultimate will receive an upgrade to the corresponding Windows 7 version at little or no cost. This upgrade program is a global program that will run until January 31, 2010.

Finally, the timetable for Windows 7 to be released in 35 separate languages has been shortened to almost a week, as October 22 will see a release in 14 languages, with a further 21 to be released nine days later on October 31.

Just a FYI if anyone had plans on buying either the home or professional editions of this.. that's quite a significant discount. Newegg's page for preorders: http://www.newegg.com/win7NOW/

I'm still on the fence on this, but I have my doubts I'd ever want to go back to Vista after this.. I have a couple of days to decide at least if I want this massive discount.

Thought I'd post here since this seems to be where all the windows 7 info is going, feel free to move it if needed.

EDIT: bleh nvm.. thought it was full version.. still a good discount though. Loooong story but when I purchased an OS for this system I accidentally got the 32-bit version(and naturally opened the packaging before realizing what I did).. so I can't upgrade, would need a full 64-bit version... so this will indeed wait until next year.

Kind of ironic because I originally purchased vista rather than XP with the mind-set "If I do this, I can save with an upgrade to 7 later when it comes out".. and I couldn't use my old XP disc because that's a Dell OEM disc.

Okay time to stop my whining now!

Good prices and good offer, still have had 0 problems with Win7 and I've tested all of my main apps without issue.

Thanks for that post Fiko, appreciate it.

Yeah, no problem. I was actually kind of surprised nobody posted it already because I'm usually the last to know about these things, and usually the day after it ends.. suppose it's not all bad to be bored on a Sunday evening.

I plan to buy at least one this week. I'm sticking with Pro though. I haven't seen or heard anything about Ultimate that makes it worthwhile so far.

I plan to buy at least one this week. I'm sticking with Pro though. I haven't seen or heard anything about Ultimate that makes it worthwhile so far.

Agreed.

Back