WILL IT FLY?

It's hard to have any conception of that though because almost every wheeled vehicle we can think of uses axles. I kept thinking of a skateboard on the treadmill and then reminding myself that it doesn't work like that...

-benny
OK, here's the best way for me to explain it, using your skateboard analogy, cause it does work as a comparison:

Tie a string to your skateboard and toss it onto a treadmill. Holding onto the string, the treadmill will try to pull the skateboard backwards out of your hand, and you'll feel that exact force in your hand as you hold the skateboard in place by the string.

Now, compare how hard that skateboard is tugging on your hand to what it would feel like if there was a jet engine strapped to the skateboard instead. The amount of resistance the wheels will give is inconsequential in comparison to the engine. Those two forces are the only ones acting on the plane in the horizontal direction (which is all we care about, because if there is any positive forward force, the plane will accelerate, and if the plane accelerates, it will eventually fly assuming a long enough tread).

*EDIT* Pageget AND annoying Soj. Gogo twofer.

At least a bad argument on Slashdot is still better than a good argument on Digg.
Certainly if you keep your viewing threshold high enough. ;) Though I guess I'm not familiar with Digg arguments since I only ever check out the original articles and not the commentary.

For the uninitiated, Slashdot is slashdot.org, a site that posts articles about tech and related matters. Official motto: "News for nerds, stuff that matters." I've been reading the site for entirely too long. ^_^;; My viewing threshold is set to 3 (max 5), but there is a very... unusual subculture that exists around -1 to 1. Slashdot isn't as quick on new articles as digg or reddit, but you get some really interesting discussions at times.

My viewing threshold is set to 3 (max 5), but there is a very... unusual subculture that exists around -1 to 1. Slashdot isn't as quick on new articles as digg or reddit, but you get some really interesting discussions at times.

Indeed. There are some thought provoking discussions at times... I set my threshold a little lower, just to see some of the crap that gets modded down. Like any message board, when a real discussion breaks out, there are trolls that want to derail or totally contradict the matter at hand. Just look at the Politics thread over there, I already used my mod points, waiting for a new set!

And yeah, their news is slow... but the discussions that ensue, are very entertaining and even SOMETIMES educational. My user number is 579206, relatively low... but I've been reading it since shortly after it started... just never bothered to register an account until I really had something to say. Har-har...

-Aa

Back