Why +Vit/Def Sucks

Garret

Galkasaur
FC/Active Member
This is shamelessly stolen from KI and is one of the best laid out explanations why +Vit/Def is not useful against HNM.

Eaglestrike said:
Actually mobs aren't way above you in STR/Attack. If they were, you WOULD see better returns on VIT/defense indefinately. The problem is that mobs have a really high WDMG, Wyrms and such have like 200-250 WDMG (weapon damage for those who didn't get the acronym). Also, the reason melee, even DRK's with 100ish WDMG can still hit 0's on NM's is because level plays a play on pDIF...but only one way. If the mob is above you in level, it's a 5% cut to pDIF ratio against the attacker. So for those level 90 NM's you get -.75 to your attack vs defense ratio as a melee. As a tanking PLD, you don't receive anything close to that bonus and can never reach such a ratio because I think pDIF is capped at a certain ratio and only the level difference can modify it below a certain number.

That's why no matter your VIT/defense big NM's will still hit you for around 200 damage a hit, usually a bit less because your defense is > their attack, but your greatest damage mitigation is shield because it's straight -dmg taken and that does so much more than defense ever will for a PC

Should call it, "Why Galkas suck," because all they love is VIT and HP! (Neither of which are important, kekekee) :halo::halo::halo:

Edit: I mean, that's interesting, Garret.

Then I guess you should start using berserk also while setting hate, since def doesn't mater. :tounge-3:

It wouldn't matter much.

If you look at the entire formula calculation it's actually saying that after a point +Vit/Def has incredibly diminishing returns because of the level difference calculation. Some Vit/Def is still needed. It's adding additional Vit/Def that becomes worthless.

That's so freakin retarded... yay for useless stats??? what the hell

They're useful to a point Koul, a Pld is going to take a lot less dmg from Fafnir than say a Blm, but once you hit the soft cap for Vit/Def you essentially see almost no improvement because of the formula described above, hence whey Koenig is almost strictly E-Peen outside of its +HP, and only the body really blows away other pieces in terms of +HP.

interesting, thanks for the info!

ur still fat garret even if u pump urself full of HP

Back