When They Do A Sequel, Would You Want It Set In Eorzea Again?

RSS News

Syndicated News Service
I think it's pretty plain that there will eventually be a FFXIV sequel. Square moved on from FFXI when it became too dated, and I don't see them putting the necessary, EVE or WoW-like investments into engine, models, the world, etc. that would be required to keep FFXIV "timeless" (no, I am not bashing the game - I think it still looks very good; I think it still plays nicely. But let's be real here: not much has evolved graphically since re-launch. Plus the gameplay of more modern MMORPGs seems to be increasingly shifting towards very active non-tab-based systems... which FFXIV isn't going to magically become).

Overall, I think this is a good thing. Games (like WoW) get stale - people want to, at some point, have that 'fresh' feel back in an MMORPG that you can only really experience at the start. Plus, FFXIV's repetitive core story reliance on summoning and fighting primals (or what amount to primal stand-ins [like the wardens]) is arguably already a bit of a taxed narrative. A restart isn't required imminently, but I think we can all acknowledge that in the 2024-2027 (or so) window, it might be time for a new game.

So, to the topic: would you want a sequel to be set in Eorzea? Personally - and I can only speak for myself here - I'd prefer it in one of the other 'high fantasy' FF worlds, such as FFVI's World of Ruin (OR it could be a far, far, FAAAAAR prequel to FFVI set in the World of Balance, during the War of the Magi), or in FFT's Ivalice. I also think the world of FFVII would be interesting, but A) the dieselpunk setting might wear on a lot of people, and B) there don't seem to be a lot of non-human races in that world (or much room to add them without jeopardizing FFVII's core story in retrospect).

But, yeah - I think it might be nice for the next game to let Eorzea 'rest' a bit. Where would you set it?

Continue reading...

Back