Uber-Rant

Nekio

{Gilfinder}
I apologize in advance for the inevitable profanities littering the following post. I'll keep it as short and sweet as possible. As many of you know, I'm on the interview trail across the northeast for medical residencies. I just had a bunch in Boston, and have one in Columbus tomorrow. Because my Boston and Columbus ones were so close, I decided to fly out since the ticket was cheap and the drive long. I pack up my suit and tie, check in my baggage and get to Columbus without a hitch (for the first time in a while, yay!). My baggage does NOT get to Columbus without a hitch (fucking SHIT).

Strike one. I go to the baggage office and the guy tells me I MIGHT have my baggage tonight, otherwise late tomorrow morning (after my interview starts, mind you). He tells me that he won't know until the last flight into Columbus comes in at 7PM. The stores close at 7PM and I don't have a fucking suit. He doesn't apologize for leavign my shit in DC. Strike two.

Managing to stifle my pissed-offedness, I head out to catch the 3:00 shuttle to my hotel. Because of the fucking baggage fiasco, I get there at 3:04. No sign of the shuttle... no biggie, I can handle waiting in the 15 degree blizzard for a few minutes. I JUST called the hotel so they know I'm here and wouldn't leave without me. Twenty minutes later I call to ask where the goddamn shuttle is. "Oh, you weren't there at 3:00 so they left." Strike three. I grit my teeth and ask when the next shuttle comes. They tell me 4:00 so I attempt unsuccessfully to slam my cell phone down and go back inside. Being responsible, I head back out at 3:40. Thirty minutes later and no fucking shuttle, I call back to the hotel: "They're still twenty minutes out." MotherFUCKERS... I'm well aware it's a 15 minutes drive from the hotel to the airport, so they're just fucking with me at this point. Strike four.

I finally get to the hotel, and proceed to organize my trip to the mall to get a new suit in the event that my old one doesn't make it. A $50 round-trip cab ride to the mall, and $400 worth of jacket, pants, shirt, tie, shoes, belt, underwear and socks, and I'm back in the hotel. As I walk through the door, the lovely receptionist beams at me:

"Oh hello sir! You bag arrived while you were gone!"

afk mental institution

Holy mother of God, that's awful. Sorry about your shitty day. :(

On my flight home from the interview, my connecting flight out of Philly was delayed 30 minutes. That wasn't a big deal (though it WAS weird... they had the wrong model of plane at our terminal, so we had to walk to a diff terminal, and had to wait to get on because the new airplane hadn't been serviced or cleaned yet. Overall a 30-min wait wasn't bad at all).

I get in my seat and a 45-year old drunk, skanky, south-Boston businesswoman sits down next to me. She proceeds to hit on me for the remainder of the flight in a thick Boston accent with a hint of smoker's rasp, telling me how nice I look in my suit, how AMAZING it is to be going into medicine, talking about her busted discs in her neck and her neurosurgeon and all other kinds of stuff I obviously wanted to talk about. She then calls over the flight attendant to bring her a rum and coke, as if she needed it. Seeing as the flight was only 40 minutes long, she had about 10 minutes to finish the drink. She call over the flight attendant a few minutes later as the plane starts to descend to tell her that she won't have time to finish the rum AND the coke, so she's going to hafta throw away some of the coke. I got a chuckle out of that (though I was pretending to be asleep at that point). Anyway, my bag made it this time so I'm finally in my scrub pajamas fucking around on my computer on the couch.

I'll see everyone ingame tomorrow, hope Limbo went well.

If you end up in Pittsburgh, let me know. One of my good friends is in his residency there, can introduce you to various people if you need to network. He's in emergency plastic surgery, has five more years left in his residency.

I was gonna say quit your bitching, Nek, but I totally feel your pain. Same thing happened to me when I went to visit Yaeko a while back. Landed in OK City only to find my luggage was somewhere else in the US. With no clothes or whatsoever to my name, I had to go shopping for from boxers to deoderant.

So for three days my baggage was somewhere in the US while I had to cash out about 200 dollars to get myself clothed. Tried to get compensation for the screw up from the airlines, but they wouldn't hear it. Next time, I am sending my stuff through UPS >_>

Yeh when I went to Europe years ago..like 7 years ago I guess..my mother's luggage didn't make it. She had to go the first 2 days without her stuff, kinda sucked. I think a lot of people could relate to Nekio's problem.

Worse than everything was the situation, though, that he had his interview lol. I'm glad things worked out for you though, Nek. o_ov

I think everyone has stories of lost luggage. Mine was lost on the way to Japan. My biggest problem? That I freaking COULDN'T go out to buy any new ones even if I wanted to. It's Japan. They're all tiny. And here I am a 5'11" overweight gaijin. None of the stores in Japan had any women's clothes remotely my size, and even the men's clothes were small. So I had to wash the same pair every day for almost a week. It was so not fun. :(

Talfus your luggage will mostly likely end up in Monrovia, Liberia.

Well, if it's any consolation, I've made my trans-atlantic trip about 11 times the past two years (two stopovers; three flights in every direction), and never once lost a single piece of luggage.

Back