Running FFXI with vista

Gordie

Gordzilla
My laptop has Vista Ultimate 32bit. FFXI is too painful to play on it. Any suggestions to improve this to more than 5 fps would be appreciated.

I assume you mean advice other than upgrading to XP so... sorry. =/

̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄」
―――――――――――――‐┬┘
                      |
       ____.____  | .__  Install Linux
     |        |       | | |\_\  Problem solved
     |        | ∧_∧ | | | |.◎| 
     |        |( ´∀`)つミ | |:  |
     |        |/ ⊃  ノ | |  \|.≡.|
        ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄' ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄   |     ̄ ̄

What video card? If NVidia, use the FFXI specific NVidia drivers. If it's a laptop, pester Fodder, I think he modded the .ini files to work for the Mobile platforms. Past that, I've ran FFXI on every version of Vista since beta 1 and it and EQ2 have worked beautifully. I get no less than 28 FPS in Whitegate and usually 30 FPS everywhere else--even during huge campaign battles in Jugner, etc. It's not Vista, it's usually drivers or such. EDIT: another bottle neck, depending on your NIC, can be the throttling. If you haven't already, I recommend upgrading to Vista SP1--there's a huge performance gain IMO.

the video card is Nvidia 8400M GS

The processor is intel core 2 duo T5250

maybe the computer just sucks

If you have the Vista POL Viewer, there shouldn't be any reason for Vista to cause your FPS to be so shitty. My laptop has a somewhat crappy video card, so 20fps is the most I can get out of it - I wish I'd known that before I bought it, but spilled milk and all of that.

Also make sure you have it set to High performance, Low battery time in the Power settings. Before I did that, 10fps was the most I could get anywhere.

Use the 169.17 Nvidia drivers. They seem to work very well with Vista and FFXI

if it doesn't like your 8400m, you can likely get a modded inf from laptopvideo2go for that driver rev. If not, take their custom INF and edit in your 8400m and cross your fingers.

Back