Rumor: No more authentication tokens for Final Fantasy XI?

RSS News

Syndicated News Service
Filed under: Fantasy, Final Fantasy XI, Business models, News items, Consoles, Rumors

It's been two months since the Square-Enix authentication tokens sold out, and still there has been no word on when the item will be returning to the online store.

The Square-Enix authentication tokens were SE's answer to the Blizzard authenticator -- an item that generates a constantly changing numerical code that needs to be entered along with your password to gain access to your game. The tokens added an extra layer of security to your Final Fantasy XI account, further protecting it from hackers who would seek to steal your luxurious items and gil.

The tokens came with the highly loved Mog Satchel -- an in-game item that would essentially double your inventory space, no matter how big it was. The satchel will also become larger when your inventory is expanded by the completion of a "Gobbie Bag" quest. However, the satchel is only available through the purchase of a security token. With no tokens being sold, no Mog Satchels are being handed out either.

Have the authenticator sales come to an end, or is it simply taking this long to make more and restock the device? We'll do some digging for you to find out.

[Via PlayNoEvil]Rumor: No more authentication tokens for Final Fantasy XI? originally appeared on Massively on Sun, 26 Jul 2009 10:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

God I hope not... My stupid token still hasn't arrived. Willing to buy another at this point but for some reason SE won't allow that. Seems retarded imo not to take orders even if they can't fill them right now.

Back in June they said they were going back on sale, but I went into POL and they said it was out. Very weird.

Maybe call their oh so helpful customer service and ask about it? Were you charged for it already?

has it really been sold out for two months? i bought one last week.. if they're letting me buy one when it's sold out, that's really screwed up and they better be prepared for an angry phone call if i have nothing come the two week mark.

maybe they were in stock for just a very very short time?

anyway, blizzard has a similar problem - they're always out of stock.

Blizzard has been out-of-stock forever.

SE is probably just ordering them on an as-needed-basis. They are not making any money on this.. probably a bit of a money pit considering the cost that comes with the server equipment and the process to integrate it into their POL system.

I don't think they'll stop selling them period.

This news post is more "alarmist" than anything else.

Elvier just ordered hers & it came last week. They can't be completely out.

Maybe it just didn't let me see that they had them because I have one already. /dunno

Yeah, already paid just never got it. I ordered it the very first day they were avaliable to be ordered.
Unluckily the new orders a couple weeks ago coincided with my hard drive dieing. Didn't think it would end so soon or I would have installed POL on another computer and ordered one. By the time I got my hard drive and reinstalled everything they were sold out again.

Check to make sure the order actually went through Yels. A friend of mine paid for his but apparently the order was never processed and he wasn't charged for it, but it still said he had ordered one. Had to call SE about it, then it showed up 2 days later.

Ordered one last week as well. Then I heard of all this. Hope we don't get screwed.

No worries pit, I got mine yesterday so it's probably on its way. I got it exactly on the two week mark.

Back