Results From My Bachelor's Thesis On Ffxiv

RSS News

Syndicated News Service
Hello r/FFXIV !

About three months ago I created this thread ( https://old.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/g1nnvt/bachelors_thesis_on_ffxiv_survey/ ) where I asked for your help in answering a questionnaire for my Bachelor's thesis. The response and support was astronomical with nearly 900 of you responding! I can't really word how thankful I am for each and every one of you that answered and/or upvoted the initial thread. A simple Thank You doesn't seem enough.

There were many requests in the thread and questionnaire comments for the results to be posted up in a follow up thread, so here it is! I'll put a brief summary of the results in this post, but if you would like to look at the graphs instead (there's a whopping 32 of them) then you can find the paper itself, free to download, here:

http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/re...asc&onlyFullText=false&noOfRows=50&dswid=-604

You don't need to read the paper to understand the graphs (and I'm sure the main paper topic will not be of interest to many) and the graphs are found in Appendix 2 on page 35 (or page 38 if you're going by the pdf page counter).

Summary of the Results

When it came to knowledge of Age/Gender/Nationality. Unsurprisingly, the majority of answers showed at least some knowledge of these factors with other players that could be considered "close" (FC, Friendslists) was common. Similarily, knowledge of Age/Gender/Nationality was uncommon for random people met through Duty Roulette or "other situations". The importance of knowing another persons Age/Gender/Nationality was considered "Not important at all" for the majority of answers (90%+ answered this for Duty Roulette and "other situations"). However, Age/Gender/Nationality were considered a bit more important for players within the same FC or Friends list, but was stated by many respondents that this was because they wanted to be able to address friends with the correct pronouns and understand real life situations they may be going through in their country.

The answers to the Language and Auto-Translate questions were arguably the most interesting to me (and what caused the most discussion in the original thread). While I can't go over every bit of analysis I made in this thread, because there's too much data and I think I'd hit word cap, here's a small summary.

There was a large difference between each of the servers when it came to languages used and also the use of Auto-Translate. In the NA server, English was the mother tongue of most respondents and almost all players on the NA servers used English to communicate (no surprise there). In the European server, there were a total 15 different languages that were mother tongues, however only 3 people (of the 277 EU server answers) stated that they didn't use English to communicate in game. 34 people did state that they used English adn a secondary language in game though. The Japanese server answers (53 of them), 64% of answers stated that English was their mother tongue, 6% had Bilingual mother tongues with English as one of their languages. All other answers fell into one of 6 other languages equating to less than 4% of answers each. 34 people only used English, 14 a mix of Japanese and English, and 3 people used Japanese, English and a third language. The most interesting part of the Japanese server results were the comments about how the server(s) lack(s) a Lingua Franca. This is reflected heavily in the Auto-Translate answers to come.

The answers for the use and usefulness of Auto-Translate showed that for the North American server, it wasn't all that useful or used all that much when talking with FC/Friend. There was however a climb in use when in Duty Roulette. Not a surprise seeing as the region is fairly monolingual given the previous results. For the European server, there was again little use of Auto-Translate in FC/Friendslist. However, there was a larger climb of use during Duty Roulette than on the North American server, only 30% of EU players said they didn't use the feature here. The Japanese server used Auto-Translate much more in every instance of the game that was asked about. During Duty Roulette almost 50% of respondents said that they always used Auto-Translate here, and only 4% of respondents said that they never used the tool.

Overall, the usefulness of Auto-Translate in Duty Roulette was considered "Slightly" to "Very" useful on all servers. However, as language barriers increased the usefulness of the feature also increased. The most interesting finding from these results actually came in the comments section of the quesionnaire here multiple players of the Japanese server stated that, due to the lack of a Lingua Franca, Auto-Translate was often used as the only means of communicationfor many tasks.

Well, that's what the results showed. For my investigation the answers were great and supported my predictions for the two questions I was trying to answer. Firstly, if the FFXIV community showed any attributes that could be considered "Cosmopolitan Democratic", which would mean there is a user base that could be asked to participate in tests to see if the idea of "Cosmopolitan Democracy" can work. Secondly, if a modified Auto-Translate tool (or something very similar) could be created to bridge the language barrier that is present in todays society, allowing for a more equal communication method that didn't involve teams of translators (which is a theory pushed by some of the Cosmopolitan Democracy creators/supporters).

Sorry if the "summary" wasn't very short! There was a lot of data and analysis. Again, I'd like to thank each and every one of you that helped me with this study. Thanks to all of you I was able to get an amazingly large set of data, which allowed me to really argue for the points that I was making. I ended up with an A in the course and I can't help but think that this was, in part, due to the massive amount of responses you all gave me. Thank you again.

With some luck I'll be able to follow this study up in the future during my Masters course over the next two years.

Have a great week everybody, thank you again.

submitted by /u/ZeroDjinn
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Back