question for you tech heads

Ashmus

Unicorns are kickass!
so, I just inherited a tablet laptop from someone's front lawn and I was thinking how I could use this piece of junk from the early 2000s, the monitor is still in tact and the tablet feature still works, its just really really slow, probably cause this guy did something weird with it.

Anyway, after I clean it out I was thinking of controlling a sound system with it, I always wanted to get a kickin sound system for my ps3 and Im thinking that if I cut a slot for the tablet into my wall I could control it james bond style. The only problem is, I have no idea how to get the sound system interface to the tablet.

I need a reciever because I want to use the optical on the ps3 for blu-ray and games and ill have other connections going into the reciever from the cable box, dvd player, wii, etc. So controlling the entire system with just the tablet is out.

This means I have to somehow sync the tablet with the reciever. It would be even cooler if I could turn stuff on and off with the tablet like some kind of wi-fi remote.

So ya, I guess im just trying to turn the tablet PC into a cool remote utilizing the wi-fi and maybe use it to store a couple gigs of mp3s.

Any Suggestions on where to look? or suggestions on the setup?

You'd need to first find a receiver with a software interface that interacts with a PC somehow.

The idea of storing media on the PC for playback is feasible with Wi-Fi by using the Media Center or Media Sharing. (I do this with my movies and MP3's from my PC, shared to the LAN so that the PS3 and XBOX360 can play the media on the TV.)

You can get a remote control for Media-Control, that's fairly easy. Your hard part sounds like it's going to be the receiver part....

As far as the PC goes itself... You probably just need to wipe the system and start from scratch with a new OS installation etc. It will probably run a bit better with a clean install.

Also, I'd like to point out that some of the newer receiver units have some pretty snazzy controls, you'd probably want to do a bit of research.

Back