Power supply issues? maybe?

Talfus

~Lux Aeterna~
Posting from gf's laptop atm. When I turn my computer on I hear the fan on the power supply start up and it never stops, the hdd light on the front is lit all the time also, monitor never turns on and the only way I can get the computer to turn off is to flip the switch on power supply or pull the power cord. It seems like the computer doesn't even hit bios or boot up, there's no beep like usual when it starts up. This all started last night when the power went out. Any ideas? For now I'm updating gf's laptop and going to be on later today, but I'd really like to get the old one up and running if for nothing else than to get macros and account info's I've had on there. Thanks! Please excuse the wall of text as for some reason the formatting is not staying when I post this.

Make sure the video card/ram and cpu are setted properly?

My old desktop does this from time to time. If I hold the power button in for 10 seconds on the tower it will cut off and shutdown/fan stops. Usually if I hit the power button 5 seconds after I got it turned off, it boots up normally and runs fine. It's annoying, but I do not know how to fix it. If you figure out how to fix it and get yours to stop doing that with the fan, please let me know. I'd like to hear about it.

Ruby, I'll try that trick with the power button and let you know. lol

I'm pretty sure it's my mother board. I stripped it down to mobo + 1 stick of memory and still wouldn't boot off mobo. Also tried swapping to other memory sticks. Got bored and also tried a power supply from another computer. Not much else I can think of, to try.

Considering you don't get any warning beeps at all like a CPU is fried or anything, but you are actually getting power, I'd say you're spot on. Sounds like the mobo :(

Back