Playing on aircard thingys.

Abbylu

So I am not technically inclined...forgive the woman speak.

I'm tossing about the idea of getting one of those aircard thingys from the Verizon. I can get 5 or 10 gig/month it seems.

1. Does anyone play on those? Is it fast enough or will I be l lagged out just as bad as this hughesnet?

2. Is 5 or 10 gig enough per month for oh lets say 360 hours of ffxi?

3. Is it reasonable to think that Kul and I could both play at the same time w/ one of these things?

He has been playing the WoW, and it doesn't seem to use much, we have 350 MB/day allowance w/ the hughesnet.

5-10G should be way more than enough. I leave 2 accounts up pretty much 24x7, with daily browsing, random image thread viewing on BG, and light YouTube usage I use about 3.5GB on average. Playability is going to depend on your reception. I tried an air card about 6 months ago and ended up cancelling because the antenna was behind a hill from me and I couldn't connect unless I held my laptop out the upstairs window. I'm glad I ended up cancelling, because I got an Android with unlimited data over 3g and use it as a wireless access point for way less cash. It supports 5 devices (I'm considering canceling Comcast =D). If you have an Android or iPhone this might be more convenient and cheaper. Some providers charge for bandwidth, tethering, or enabling wireless AP, but I rooted my phone and turned on wireless AP for no additional cost.

If you decide to get one anyway and choose to use Sprint, I'll give you my air card for free and you can try to get it set up w/o a contract. Idk if you can use it with Hughesnet

What fodder said. Pretty much you just need to make sure that you would get a good signal and you should have no problems playing. You would still have a lot of problems playing if the signal isn't good though.

Now, does anyone know where we packed our discs at?

If you need FFXI disc images, I have some that you can use - although it's a huge download, it will work to get FFXI and the expansions installed.

You can either burn it to a DVD or use Daemon Tools to mount the image file as a virtual DVD-ROM drive to do the install...

Oh and if you're really desperate, we can mail a DVD to you with all of the installs and expansions....

5-10G should be way more than enough. I leave 2 accounts up pretty much 24x7, with daily browsing, random image thread viewing on BG, and light YouTube usage I use about 3.5GB on average. Playability is going to depend on your reception. I tried an air card about 6 months ago and ended up cancelling because the antenna was behind a hill from me and I couldn't connect unless I held my laptop out the upstairs window. I'm glad I ended up cancelling, because I got an Android with unlimited data over 3g and use it as a wireless access point for way less cash. It supports 5 devices (I'm considering canceling Comcast =D). If you have an Android or iPhone this might be more convenient and cheaper. Some providers charge for bandwidth, tethering, or enabling wireless AP, but I rooted my phone and turned on wireless AP for no additional cost.

If you decide to get one anyway and choose to use Sprint, I'll give you my air card for free and you can try to get it set up w/o a contract. Idk if you can use it with Hughesnet

It's good to hear about your usage. Considering that unlimited plans are probably going to start disappearing over the next couple of years it's good to get a reference on what would work for me.

I can mail you the install DVD and a second DVD with XI fully updated. You just install POL then XI, update POL, then delete the Final Fantasy XI directory and drop the up to date one in. After a file check you're good to go. PM me an address today and I'll burn them tonight/mail tomorrow if you'd like. I can mail it to Abby Lu, kind of like that one package I sent to Benny Blackmage years back.

I can mail you the install DVD and a second DVD with XI fully updated. You just install POL then XI, update POL, then delete the Final Fantasy XI directory and drop the up to date one in. After a file check you're good to go. PM me an address today and I'll burn them tonight/mail tomorrow if you'd like. I can mail it to Abby Lu, kind of like that one package I sent to Benny Blackmage years back.

Hahaha Benny Blackmage... Mailman must have been like "wtf??"

I have no idea what you just said there lol!
I have the WoTG discs, but can not find the others to save my life.
Extremely nice of you Fodder, I'll pm you my addy.
Thankfully, Kul didn't uninstall on his pc, and it only took 5 hours to update from Nov10 to now :p. Thankgoodness for the 2am-7am free usage!

Back