PC Issues

Eticket

Pointy Stick
FC/Active Member
The wife's pc freaked out during the recent heat wave. It's not detecting the hard drives. I pulled the plug on it for a day or two, turned it on and it booted up ok after a scandisk. A day or two later I went to check on it and it had rebooted and stalled because it couldn't see the drives again.

When I go into the BIOs, there's just a line of gibberish on the second IDE line and auto-detect does nothing. Any ideas what might cause that? Is the board fubared or did the cable get fried maybe?

Fubar'd.

Sounds like you needs a new HDD =\

weird. the drive has booted up twice since this started. I have two drives on the cable and neither shows up in CMOS when there's an issue. When it boots up fine, they both show up. That's why I was thinking the board was the issue and not the drive.

I'll pull it out later and try it in my tower to see.

Yeah, that is typical... some drives when they go bad, they'll work fine for awhile and then they'll quit.

There's a post in here somewhere, from a year or two ago... one of my drives overheated and it did the same thing yours is doing. After cooling off, the drive would work for awhile and then quit working again after awhile. It was completely unreliable and had to be tossed.

As an experiment, I tossed the drive into a low temp test (aka fridge) and then ran the drive while it was cool. That gave me enough time to copy important stuff before it failed again.

You can test the MB with another drive and see if anything happens, if the two drives are on the same cable (master / slave) --- if the one that is failing is master, the second/slave one won't show up in BIOS either.

PS: Get a SATA card/drive or get a SATA equipped MB. :D

I suggest what Aang said, get rid of it and get whatever you can off it soon before it completely dies.

It's definitely the mobo. Especially given the bugging cmos and random hard drive failure. A failed drive would be noticeable at every boot.

It's definitely the mobo. Especially given the bugging cmos and random hard drive failure. A failed drive would be noticeable at every boot.

If you read what I wrote above, I had this exact scenario.

In my case, the drive would work for a bit and then fail. I replaced the HDD and everything was fine, MB/HDD still work today.

Got another HDD you can try in the system before buying a new one mate? Like Aang i had the same problem many years ago and replacing the HDD did it for me but my man furax could be right too! trail and error.

My PC died tonight >.> my MB or CPU is fucked. Managed to get my Vid Card installed on old system and reinstalling everything on that right now as i type.

Thanks for sharing the bug Eticket lol.

I swear, sometimes this stuff seems to have built in-timers about when to fail.

MTBF... hardly. lol

Got another HDD you can try in the system before buying a new one mate? Like Aang i had the same problem many years ago and replacing the HDD did it for me but my man furax could be right too! trail and error.

My PC died tonight >.> my MB or CPU is fucked. Managed to get my Vid Card installed on old system and reinstalling everything on that right now as i type.

Thanks for sharing the bug Eticket lol.

<3

Back