OS virtulization and multi boxing on same PC?

runic

anyone know much about how to pull this off? supposely i got a macbook cause i was gonna shove my laptop into it with something like MacWindows: The web site for Macintosh-Windows integration parralells? or something similar.
i was looking around and there seems to be no way to run ffxi on a mac at all aside from running this windows on it but well... those program can also run the same OS twice as well supposedly, which leads to being able to running windows + ffxi and windows + ffxi (aside from what they keys registry might yell at you for doing so) vs the older methods of windows + ffxi x2. im not exactly sure how those programs work but i think you can swap between all virtulized OSs idk if it'd crash ffxi in the proccess.
also a high likelyness attempting to do this will require windower which i have no idea where to find how to use or if it's even ok to use w/o the possiblity of suspension etc. if anyone know anything about that as well i'd like to start researching on it a bit.

If I remember right, Aelfinn runs on a Mac. Might try poking him.

interesting, research saying a few programs allows some windows programs to run on a mac, which would also open up the use of that F3? (idk what it's called but it sure as hell is useful) to switch between windows? (for lack of better description of what a program window is called on a mac) possibly...

As far as I know, you cannot run FFXI on the mac side, you'd have to use bootcamp or something and run it on windows, if you still want to use the Macbook in order to play FFXI.
Side note: My friend has a Macbook and I tried to dual-box him and me, and the graphics were fugged (until I logged 1 of us off). This was this summer on a new macbook he got this year (in June).

I've heard reports that Parallels can do ok (though not great) with FFXI. I'd be surprised if dual-boxing worked well though. Really the best way to play it on the Mac would be through Bootcamp. I think either option requires you to have a copy of Windows, but Parallels at least lets you run mostly OS X and virtualizes Windows. Bootcamp would be running pure Windows with no OS X goodness available. :(

Parallels running something like FF will introduce graphics bugginess, or at least it did when i was running on a macbook pro about 1.5 years ago. Running an early version of Leopard and an older copy of VMWare's Fusion... i think,... maybe it was Parallels. Either way, my current FF Box is a current gen Mac Mini. Running Win7 under bootcamp.
I'll tell ya, this lil machine is a powerhouse squeezed into a little box. I've run 2 instance of the game in windower w/o many issues.

Back