Nippon All Stars: McDonald's Japan - Mascot - A WTF Moment.

Aangeliceus

Kitteh's Meow
FC/Leadership
Honestly... I think I need to hide.

This GUY is all over [STRIKE]Tokyo[/STRIKE] Japan on poster boards and advertisements for McDonald's and even in TV ads now.

SERIOUSLY McD's... WTF were you people thinking?

God help the rest of us... a 43 year old Japanophile from Ohio.

mister.jpg

Caption said:
Mr James, the American mascot of McDonald’s Japan, is a character invented by advertising giant Dentsu for McDonald’s Japan’s new burger line - the “Nippon All Stars.” The campaign, running through Nov 5, promotes four burgers available only in Japan. On his blog on the McDonald’s Japan website, Mr James is described as a 43-year-old Japanophile from Ohio. According to a TIME magazine story, Mr James has upset non-Japanese, among them Arudo Debito, the chairman of the Foreign Residents and Naturalized Citizens’ Association of Japan, for being “white, dorky and speaking mangled Japanese” which the group feels plays to Japan’s xenophobic tendencies. TIME reports that Debido has officially protested the Mr James campaign with a letter to McDonald’s Corp headquarters in Illinois.

Read the comments.... at the bottom of this link.

Mr James � Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

I don't think I'm going to McD's again till they remove that guy, I don't want some J-girl looking at me and then looking at that guy. ".....NO. I'M NOT RELATED ... and ... I DON'T KNOW HIM..." Not all foreigners in Japan know each other! --- I like talking to random J-girls, but not about this guy.

Christ.

Last edited:
You should tell them you're related, but you're the local lingerie store's パンツ mascot, doing local inspections. *nod*

WHY IS OHIO UNDERLINED????

This is less of a “white, dorky and speaking mangled Japanese” which the group feels plays to Japan’s xenophobic tendencies" situation and more of a "Typical Ohioan" situation.

We cant all be super great Hollywood lets go fun time people.

He may look like a harmless american....but you can bet he is fleecing the Japanese youth for their monies. I bet he shows up to promotional events in a puff of smoke.

Also, he kind of reminds me of Artie, the strongest man in the world.

"If this were in a different country, and we had a Japanese in a [summer kimono] and [wooden sandals] saying 'Me like Mcflied lice, please eato,' we'd have the same sort of antidefamation league speaking out and saying this is disparaging to Asians or Japanese,"

We can only dream of the day.

-benny

wow... holy racism batman!!!!

-ara

Back