New Router Today

Aangeliceus

Kitteh's Meow
FC/Leadership
Discovered that my old router was slowly dying and did not figure it out till tonight.

Went out and bought a new router tonight....

The Results: (Inside Japan)
547231284.png

Outside of Japan: (Dallas, TX)
547234285.png

The overseas results are much better than they were... Now maybe I'll stop lagging out in TF2 and YouTube will actually work. :arg:

Last edited:
Speaking of routers, I think mine is dead too. Right now I have my PC plugged directly into the modem. As an aside, when I tried moving my PC into a different room the other day and running a long ethernet cable I couldn't connect. Is this most likely due to a weak signal from the modem? The cable is brand new.

Though I don't know what this stuff means, even I can tell that you have a good thing going Ether :O

Speaking of routers, I think mine is dead too. Right now I have my PC plugged directly into the modem. As an aside, when I tried moving my PC into a different room the other day and running a long ethernet cable I couldn't connect. Is this most likely due to a weak signal from the modem? The cable is brand new.

There are a number of factors involved here. However, the signal on the Ethernet cable only has to be clean, not 'powerful' in the terms that you would think of wireless. Ethernet cables over 50 feet long can start to have signal loss*... (assuming you are running at 100mbps) However, it's not enough loss that you would really notice at all. I assume you've got at least a CAT-5e or better Ethernet cable....

(*depending on the quality and rating of the cable. 328 feet [100 meters] is the max length for a cable that is running at 100mbps)

1) Check to make sure the link is good. (i.e. you get a connect light on the NIC port itself)
2) Refresh your NIC card, to force it to try to get new information from your router. (you can do this by disabling it and renabling it via your network control panel in windows.)

You've probably already tried, but just make sure you perform a factory reset on the router if nothing else works, just to confirm it's the router.

Though I don't know what this stuff means, even I can tell that you have a good thing going Ether :O

Well, as with most things... bigger is better. :0

The thing I despised in American ISP's was the stupidly restricted upload speeds. (your bottom number). As I did a lot of work from home for both my personal websites and real work stuff... having that slow upload speed was a pain. I didn't mind so much about the download, it wasn't that bad for what I was doing.

Inside Japan, getting data moved around is a breeze and I love it. Some of my torrents for TV shows that I go after, download in minutes compared to hours in previous cases.

Just for giggles, I tried my mobile internet card:
547723644.png

It's rated at 7mbps, connected to my PC via PCMCIA card. They've got a 21mbps access card now for about $60/month for mostly unlimited access/transfer. I think there is some clause that if you stay on the thing for 24/hours a day, everyday... there would be a problem. It bumps you off after 8-9 hours automatically, just have to reconnect.

not bad for 60/mo. Also, I torrent while running the speed test. Seeding three animes during the latest test.

Yeah, it's nice to see some of the American markets improving...

My comcast connection was more like Rektify's connection before I moved.

Yeah, it's nice to see some of the American markets improving...

My comcast connection was more like Rektify's connection before I moved.

Hmm, I guess it's good that I don't know what I'm missing.. I see downloads of about 800 KB/sec and I'm just happy - I can download backup copies to games :rolleyes: in a few hours and I'm ok with that.

In two days I'll be making the move to the dorms, where they promise it'll just in general be faster as opposed to my house. The downside? They blocked all P2P sites - but that's another story.

That's FIOS Verizon, yeah?

What package do you have? or did you have a choice?

Not bad either way....

Furax mentioned $60 for what he's got. We're paying $38 for just the HIKARI fiber internet service - We don't have paid TV or IP telephone service. (optional, but we chose not to for now.) It looked like I would be paying $120 or so for everything I wanted from Verizon FIOS back in Virginia. (noting that it became available shortly after I moved.... )

Got the new laptop up and running.

The upload actually went down from the test on my AthlonXP box. >.>

571726121.png

571727800.png

hate time warner :weeping01

Back