My Opinion of Spiderman 3

DeeDoubleOhEhm

Tiny Dancer
MyChemicalRomanceSpidey3jpg.jpg

I saw it in IMAX yesterday. Was a little disappointed (in the IMAX). They didn't make an IMAX specific format I guess, so it was still widescreen, so the top and bottom portions of the IMAX screen didn't even get used.

I don't like watching action flicks in Imax. The camera seems to get choppy during fast moving scenes (Matrix: Revolution). Sure it's a detailed image, but I'm there to watch a movie, not a slideshow.

The only good movie coming out this year will be Shrek 3!

I thought they tried to fit way too many large plotline villians from the comics into one movie. If they had focussed on just Hobgoblin, Venom, or Sandman I think they would have done just fine.

It's obviously hard condensing any comic series into an ~2 hour movie to begin with, but it's just compounded when you try to take so many plot lines and squeeze it in even more.

Well halfway through the movie I was wondering how they were going to end it with 3 main villains, I thought they did a good job for what they had, but on the other hand they needed more venom!

Venom is just such a cool badguy from the comics and they really gloss over so much of that, I think had they just had Venom as the only villian it would have been much cooler.

Venom is just such a cool badguy from the comics and they really gloss over so much of that, I think had they just had Venom as the only villian it would have been much cooler.

I completely agree. Considering the main plot of the story was the black suit and how it changed Peter Parker, the ONLY villain should have been Venom. It seemed to me that the Sandman was only thrown in to distract Peter from his problems with MJ, and to give him a reason to team up with Harry for closure (which still could have been done with just Venom as the only villain). Having said that, even though I thought the story could have been stronger with an absence of the Sandman, I still think the shot of him trying to stand up after he first gets his powers was one of the coolest effects I've seen in a film.

I was also disappointed in Venom himself. The guy needs to be physically built like a football player and be much bigger than Spider-Man. It seemed to me like the Visual FX guys cut corners by taking the black-suited Spider-Man model and throwing Venom's head on top with a larger spider emblem in his chest. Granted, Topher Grace did a good job portraying Eddie Brock, but as a viewer, I didn't feel any reason for Spider-Man to be intimidated by Venom without the difference in physical build.

Comic wise, if I remember correctly Venom is a lot stronger than Spiderman, but Spiderman is decently more agile & fast?

Ok but they were going into uncharted waters, 3 main villains in one movie? Then 1 turns and helps the good guy fight the other two? When has this ever been done in one movie.

I don't like watching action flicks in Imax. The camera seems to get choppy during fast moving scenes (Matrix: Revolution). Sure it's a detailed image, but I'm there to watch a movie, not a slideshow.

The only good movie coming out this year will be Shrek 3!

Thats the main problem... when you are watching a movie so heavilly CG'd such as Matrix... the super resolution of IMAX is actually too clear and you end up seeing all the imperfections of the SFX. I call it the "dirty glass look" cause it looks like it was shot through a filthy window, whenever you see the effect scenes they printed off to the digital intermediate.

Try watching a movie on IMAX like "Lawrence of Arabia" or "2001" which were actually captured on 65MM film to begin with... its incrediblly gorgeous.

Dar~

Ok but they were going into uncharted waters, 3 main villains in one movie? Then 1 turns and helps the good guy fight the other two? When has this ever been done in one movie.

Yeah, it has been done before. Ever see Batman & Robin? There's a reason that isn't done. As horrible as it sounds, a "good" movie with a "good" story tends to follow a certain formula. It's a 3-act system in which the inciting incedent, turning point, point of no return, major setback and climax happen at specific times. There's a standard, and it's usually up to the writers to fit their content into that formula. There have been a few examples of successful films breaking the formula, but it's not very common.

The first two Spider-Man films used this formula, and everyone loved them. However, now that the 3-movie deal that Sam Raimi signed with Sony Pictures was coming to an end, it really seemed like he tried to cram everything else he would want to do with the franchise into the final film. Things are cluttered, and the movie is a little messy. Since it's titled Spider-Man, shouldn't it be about Spider-Man? I didn't know who to root for -- the main hero, or the guy who was just trying to save his daughter's life. This seemed to be more of an ensemble story rather than a hero vs. villain.

And how many times does the film need to rub "Nope, not yet!" in our faces? How many times did the Green Goblin die? Three, by my count. Sandman died once, too. Yet out of all of this, Venom, Spider-Man's biggest nemesis from the comics (I think... haven't read a comic since I was 12) was granted about 10 minutes of screen time, and then was promptly vaporized by the same bomb that merely scarred the Green Goblin's face.

It's funny, though. I just read that Sony announced that another 3 Spider-Man movies will be made. I'm sure if Raimi knew that beforehand, the series would have been more properly paced. Oh well, here's hoping they don't breeze through the story of Carnage. Although, with Venom vaporized, I don't see Carnage making an appearance anyway.

I was also disappointed in Venom himself. The guy needs to be physically built like a football player and be much bigger than Spider-Man. It seemed to me like the Visual FX guys cut corners by taking the black-suited Spider-Man model and throwing Venom's head on top with a larger spider emblem in his chest. Granted, Topher Grace did a good job portraying Eddie Brock, but as a viewer, I didn't feel any reason for Spider-Man to be intimidated by Venom without the difference in physical build.

Well the issue with this is that they wanted Venom to be comparable to Spider-man, as he was in the comics. In the comics, Peter Parker wasn't so much a scrawny whiney little guy, he was quite built up himself. Kind of like the 1960s and 1970s portrayals of "nerdy heroes." In this set of films, Peter Parker is a much geekier version of himself to say the least, and they wanted someone to contrast Toby Mcguire while at the same time compairing to him on the same level, so they went for Topher Grace as a "cooler nerdy guy" lol.

ok venom was bigger first off, and ya he was stronger but spidey outwitted him and won. i dont understand y peeps pick movies apart, it was a good film. all the key elements where there, it was a smart and clever story. i guess im just sick of peeps crying about super hero stories. U can do so much with a comic book in my opinion.

Yeah, it has been done before. Ever see Batman & Robin? There's a reason that isn't done. As horrible as it sounds, a "good" movie with a "good" story tends to follow a certain formula. It's a 3-act system in which the inciting incedent, turning point, point of no return, major setback and climax happen at specific times. There's a standard, and it's usually up to the writers to fit their content into that formula. There have been a few examples of successful films breaking the formula, but it's not very common.

The 3 act arch usually caters to the "common" moviegoer so they can enjoy the average movie. Go see Nashville, Short Cuts, Magnolia/Boogie Nights and tell me they arent quote on quote "good" movies. It takes balls and scope to pull off a solid ensemble driven pic, but one thing I can agree on If done wrong it can be excrutiating.

Ive yet to see Spiderman 3 so I cant comment on it... but I have some faith in Raimi... if anything I blame it on the studio for trying to pump these things out and fit into a contracts and deadlines joff ... but hey on the other hand you cant beat a 375 million opening weekend financially speaking, heh. :icecream:

Dar~

i would like to point out that carnage is still a very possible villian for a future installment. The piece of the "suit" that Dr. connors has will easliy be a way to make carnage.

-ara

Back