my iPod *sucks*

Benny

{too weak}{Black Mage}
FC/Active Member
I got one of the 8GB iPod nanos... and it worked fine for a while, but lately when I listen to it for more than maybe 45min-1hr, it has a very high tendency to lock up. I can soft reset it each time but when this is happening 3 or more times every day it gets to be really annoying. Has anyone else had experience with this kind of problem? I definitely won't be getting any more mp3 players from Apple after this... My old Creative mp3 player was a hell of a lot better, despite being a brick and using a spinning hard drive, in terms of features, reliability, and longevity (guessing on the last part, but my creative lasted almost 5 years before the headphone jack, of all things, wore out).

I can't understand why people become such slavish devotees to Apple products, because from a quick google search I'm far from the only one this happens to (though apparently soft reseting it each time is a "solution" according to the geniuses on all the various answer sites).

-benny

iPod is overrated like whoa. I <3'ed my Creative MP3 player, right up until the second I accidentally smashed it (long story).

My Rio Karma was great for years of use up until I forgot about it and left it in the charging cradle for 6 months or so. It apparently didn't have an overcharge circuit. One day I happened to notice my Karma had grown so much that the it and the cradle had split in two.

My I-Phone crashes from time to time too. We should go back to vinyl Ben.

Might want to check out a Zune mp3 player or maybe another Ipood with flash memory instead of a actual HD.

There's also a site out there that can step you through upgrading existing ipods to flash memory. I'll look for it if you're interested. From what I've seen, most of the locking up occurs with older mp3 player with a HD.

i have a 2nd gen ipod mini that's been magically awesome for the past 3 years. Only problem so far, it isn't compatible with my new radio in my car, so i just use my usb flash drive instead(<3 usb input on new radios).

Yeah I think that might be my best option at this point. What an annoyance. But it's more annoying to have a POS mp3 player that won't play music for more than a half hour at a time.

-benny

I have an older 30GB iPod, I think 2nd Gen or so--from back around 2003, and it works like a champ. I'm not an Apple guy, but the iPod has worked like a champ. I've considered an iPhone, but there's no coverage where I currently live.

update:

If there's an Apple Store, I'd take it there before RMA'ing. Sometimes you can walk in and they literally just give you a new one.

iPhone is meh, don't bother. Reception is mediocre and the camera sucks. I do like many of the other features, but you can get all those with an iPod.

I have one of those Version 1.0 Video iPods, fairly flawless since I got it in 2005. I guess maybe the battery life is a little lower, but still works for good periods of time without much issue.

One of the guys at work has a Zune, but I think it's a bit bulky.... Pussen got a iTouch recently, that's pretty snazzy... I might pick up one of those.

I'm not a Apple Fan-boy or anyting like that, but I guess I am just comfortable with their products.

ya, Ehon is right, I brought my old 4th gen classic ipod back to the apple store because something was wack about the battery, it would sometimes shut down for no reason after I just charged it and they gave me a new 160 6th gen classic straight up.

Wow... sad. My cheapass ChiPod (Chinese iPod ripoff) works better than that. If they won't fix it for you right, can get the knockoff, same same storage size, for probably $30 on Ebay. :p

I have the 4 gig iPod nano, the generation where they made the outside anodized aluminum. I love it. It locks up about once every month at most, and has survived an incredible amount of damage. So far, being run over with my desk chair a few times (with my 250lb self in it) causing some dents and gashes in the aluminum (it crushed the charging cable, so it barely fits in correctly), being crushed in my book bag, and being in my pocket with my keys and box cutter (which opened itself, into the iPod screen, small scratch, and my leg, large gash). My brother had one of those Creative ones, worked well for awhile till the batteries crapped out.

Also, my iPod's battery life is freaking impressive. I've gone two weeks without charging it, listening to it every day at work while stocking, and to and from work driving. I love that thing.

Back