Mini-Fafnir, Well sort of...

Aangeliceus

Kitteh's Meow
FC/Leadership
pol%202005-02-15%2004-37-47-73.jpg

Yeah, He's fun to play with.... :arg:

Pali tank is a must basically, its attacks ate through fod's shadows as if they weren't even there. Mistmelt seems like a must as well, once in the air he kept bashing me for exactly 240 points of damage like every swing basically. I potion spammed and it still wasnt enough to stay alive.

We died though, it had about 30-40% of its HP left (30% is clear amount). I think its one-shotting of me was just a bad luck roll.

If only pit had is 2hr for the third attempt....... :gun03:

kk so mistmelt farming it will be then :fies058:

If anyone is up for that just LMK, same as with subligar quest, which some of us from last time stil need :redwhip::redwhip:

was hoping for the following party setup when we try it (Ouryu that is)

PLD / RNG / WHM / BLM (x2) / RDM

Nice, Coice.

Man, too bad we can't go in uncapped, I think we'd actually enjoy the fight... Skillup on the big dragon at 10!

Anyhow, Morrana, I'm also up for item farming. We were talking about farming the items Thursday ASAP and trying the BCNM again that night. The thing about him is, he really does seem kinda easy (to me) but its just that you seem to need to fight him a few times to see what happens etc... mostly like the other CoP's. (We rocked Mammet's first try, I was surprised but happy ^^)

(Notice how Coice accidentally used a Papillion instead of a potion that one time? That's pretty funny with a huge ass dragon breathing down your neck... btw, nice Screenshot Aang)

When he is flying, his attacks totally ignore Utsusemi. I took 3 hits for 240 dmg each and dropped with 3 shadows still up. 4+ mistmelts are a definite MUST for this fight

I suggest you guys bring at least two mistmelts on this fight. That aoe that does 500+ damage only come out when he flies. Usually he does that on his seconds flight but I have seen Ouryu do the aoe on first flight. while flying his regular hits or fireballs aret a big deal. He also does aoe damage when he lands.

I came on this fight with two rng nin tank whm blm and rdm. we only had tow mismelts so we risked having him fly around while we used ranged/nuke untill he gets back down. we waited till he started to fly again and immidiately use mismelt to keep him from flying. we got through the fight without him doing that aoe. GL with it

Throughout the entire fight, he flew 3-4 times. With 4+ mistmelts, we will be able to ground him as SOON as he takes flight, totally eliminating this facet of the fight. That, coupled with the fact that I can easily sleep him (a limited number of times) I believe the fight will go smoother the next time. Pit had a good idea: wake up Ouryu with an Avatar blood pact. If pitlith is Astral Flowing, waking him up with a 2-hour blast may save our asses a lot of trouble, as Garuda can then tank for a while while I nuke, rangers attack, etc. After that, Invincible > Freeze should finish him off.

If he would have stayed on the ground, or came down a bit faster, i could have easily eaten ALL his damage with potions and cures, I got hit at least 10 times with that flying attack.

Another strat is shadowbinding him and running out of range when he goes up, Fod's shadowbind did stick, I don't know if it kept him stationary though.

He was doing 80-110 per shot on me, with +17 vit and about 423 total def. He was not hitting me much harder then the mobs outside the BC, but he did attack faster.

Next time he goes down :)

I think we have the strategy pretty down pat, especially if we all have our two hours and items we should be able to do this very simple. As long as my EES doesnt hit for 150 like last time :tounge-1:

Haha, I remember you mentioning that EES after the fight, and I remember seeing the dmg output during the battle. I also remember a sad EES I did once... Damn those acid bolts...

(I have since macro'd Mythril Bolts into every WS / EES / Barrage macro that I activate)

In regard to Shadowbinding, I was thinking about it earlier, and it really seems to suck to waste such an awesome ability (especially on an NM it sticks on) but I don't see very much practical use. If it flies up, someone will have to use a Mistmelt, and thus they will have to get close. If everyone is crowded near dragon and, say, Pitlith uses a Mistmelt, he'll get pulled down. However, if you bind him, everyone runs away, and Pitlith tries to use a Mistmelt, he'll be the only one in range and most likely he'll get pounded. I'd say shadowbind would be a GREAT strategy towards the end, if we run out of Mistmelts, as I can just chill in back and let a Freeze rip. Thus far, Mistmelt > Sleep II > rest > kamikaze, rinse, repeat sounds pretty flawless.

I really think if we had Astral Flow for the third fight, we would have won. These are excellent ideas. I think doing the shadowbind thing is too much of a hassle and wouldnt work well just because of how difficult it is to coordinate. The Mistmelt is only EX but not rare so does that mean you can have more than one? Probably not but just an idea. We all need 1 mistmelt to keep his ass on the ground. With him on the ground, he will surely die.

The question that you may have is... How hard would this be to coordinate?
~ I was thinking that these steps should take place.

1> Coice goes in and vokes Ouryu

2> Immediately Astral Flow on Ouryu and keep Garuda out

3> when Garuda Dies, since Coice vokes Ouryu, Ouryu goes after Coice but Jotaru immediately Sleeps the dragon.

4> I recover MP (Hi-Ethers/Mulsums/Yagudo Drinks) and Astral Flow again and leave garuda out

5> Garuda dies and goes for Coice but Jotaru Sleeps Dragon again

6> Recover MP and Astral flow 3rd time keeping garuda out

7> Garuda dies, either EES + WS + Freeze right now or Sleep him a last time and prepare to EES and WS and Freeze him within a few seconds of recovery.

By noone attacking Ouryu the whole time I am doing Astral flows (even Coice), we gurantee that when Jotaru Sleeps the Dragon, someone's attacks will not wake him up while i prepare for my next astral flow. Instead of building TP on dragon, Corvac and Fodder bring an Icarus Wing for the final WS/EES/Freeze spam.

If Jotaru can sleep him as easily as we saw, this will be nothing at all to him. At the worst case scenario, Dragon may resist it a time or two and will hit coice on the ground, then Jotaru tries it again. By chance if he flies, we immediately bring him down using a Mistmelt. By chance if he flies while I am doing Astral Flows, He must be Mistmelted before doing next Astral Flow because it wont hit him in air.

Let me know what you think, and sorry for length of post.

~Pitlith

Pit, that idea sounds great, I'm just worried about how much damage this truly would be. Technically we could just keep repeating Sleep > Freeze / Avatar > Sleep, but he will start to resist it. If for whatever reason after this sleeping session his HP isn't low enough, we're sitting ducks. I do however think this strategy would work with some minor adjustments.

Fodder and Corv starting with Barrage, as mentioned, would take Stoneskin out, and leave Garuda to do a full Astral Flow. Fodder and Corvac can continue to shoot, but not /attack, the dragon. (Everyone should be behind to avoid AOE) When Garuda dies, its best to let Coice tank as much as he can, possibly invincible if needed. The longer we prolong Sleep, the more time we'll have towards the end. I'd rather cast a Freeze while he's sleeping than wailing on the tank.

All in all, I think yer strategy will work pit, but I think we need to try and push all the sleeping and "last resort tactics" as far back as posssible. Unloading too early could be bad, hehe.

I do agree with making sure he is at low enough health before doing the finishing moves. For this idea, I do believe the only way to say for sure or not when to do this, is to basically go in there and try it and see how far it takes the Dragons HP down. My idea was basically to keep Coice from tanking the dragon unless he has to. That 1 shot Kill could be deadly with all of this taking place. Possibly do the steps I posted, and if his HP is low enough, finish him with TP EES and Freeze. If his HP isnt low enough, Then at that point we can tank him straight upfor a little and possibly near the end, Coice can do Invincible. We will see, but just very cautious because whatever strat we do like this, it will be an "balls to the floor" fight where it cant be repeated if we fail. If coice gets killed with that move, that could possibly ruin it. Keeping it off him as much as possible is best, imo, until we actually find out we need to do a bit more damage after the 3 astral flows. At that point, we still have Coices 2 hour to buy us 30 secs and then would still decrease coice getting hit. We will see.

~Pitlith

Back