Limit Breaks Are Kind Of Underwhelming

RSS News

Syndicated News Service
I think Limit breaks need a bit of a rework. Before release, ARR's battle system was named around Limit breaks, and yet they're incredibly underwhelming. 9 of 10 times you'll see the same level 1/2 limit breaks, both of which are role-specific instead of Job-specific.

There are two main problems with limit breaks.
First one that comes to mind is their 'utility'- it's practically nonexistent, for anything except DPS or Healer LB3. There's a meta to Limit Breaks, and i feel like that ruins the fun of the entire system.
Two, LB3 is far too rare to see, and even rarer to use. It only ever appears in certain fights. And the fact is has to be charged within that fight alone as a result, while it is only one bar, tends to limit its usage to 'take the last 5% off a boss's HP', or the occasional Emergency Mega-res if people REALLY screw things up at the end. And given how the LB3 is the big draw of the system, the job-specific Limit break... Yeah, the issue kinda speaks for itself.

In my opinion, there a few ways this could be resolved.

One, to resolve the second issue, with the severe lack of the Job-specific Limit breaks, is to just give Job-specific LB1/2s. That way it feels a bit more special when you use it.

For the first issue, more LB1/2s need to be buffed. There needs to be a better incentive to using LB1 as healer or as tank. For example:

Tank:
LB1 - 40% Damage decrease. 10 Seconds.
LB2 - 60% Damage decrease. 10 Seconds.
LB3 - Cannot go below 1HP by regular means. 10 seconds. [Does not include mechanics that would kill from higher than X-% health, for Raid mechanic reasons.]

Healer:
LB1 - Restores 40% of HP for all party members. Regen effect for 12-ish seconds, healing up to an extra 40%. Completely restores MP for all players.
LB2 - Restores 80% of HP for all party members. Completely restores MP for all players.
LB3 - Restores 100% of HP and MP for all party members. Revives all fallen party members.

DPS:
Basically, just make each LB do the damage of the LB above it, honestly.

NOW. Before i catch hands for that- i have zero raid experience so i have NO idea how bad this would break things. All i know is that, having a lot of these be a one-time use per dungeon is already a SERIOUS consequence- because using an LB1 as tank could easily mean no LB3 from your Healer later. However, as it stands, it's less of a debate on which is more valuable and when, and more of 'you literally do not have a choice, leave it to the healer, unless we're almost done with the last fight in which case the dragoon can have it lol [if he isn't fucking dEAD]'.

More below:

Continue reading...

Back