Job Adjustments and Additions Part I (07/03/2009)

pixiehawk

On one wild ride
FC/Active Member
A host of job adjustments and additions are in the pipes for the upcoming version update, including formidable new abilities for ninjas. Other jobs, too, are scheduled to benefit from myriad adjustments to magic and abilities. In this, the first part in the job adjustment series of articles, we cast the spotlight on ninjas, Vana'diel's agents of stealth and deception.

New Job Abilities
Accomplished in both offense and defense, the art of ninjutsu has over the years proven to be a favorite among adventurers across the land. Now, with the addition of the following two new abilities, ninjas can further enhance either their efficiency in offense or aptitude in defense as befits the situation.

4666_5.jpg
- Yonin (Lv.40 Ability Delay: 5 min. Duration: 5 min.)
Increases enmity and enhances "ninja tool expertise" effect, but impairs accuracy. Grants a bonus to evasion and critical hit rate when in front of target.

4666_7.jpg
- Innin (Lv.40 Ability Delay: 5 min. Duration: 5 min.)
Reduces enmity and impairs evasion. Grants a bonus to accuracy, critical hit rate, and ninjutsu damage when striking target from behind.

- Yonin
Strengthens one's ability to fend off blows from the enemy.
While in effect, Yonin increases enmity and enhances the effect of "ninja tool expertise" in exchange for reduced accuracy. Further bonuses are granted to evasion and critical hit rate when engaging your target from the front.
The potency of the above effects gradually decreases over time.

- Innin
Strengthens one's ability to deal damage to the enemy.
While in effect, Innin lowers enmity in exchange for reduced evasion. Further bonuses are granted to accuracy, critical hit rate, and ninjutsu damage when striking your target from behind.
As with Yonin, the potency of the above effects gradually decreases over time.

*Notes
The effects of both Yonin and Innin are mutually exclusive. Activating one while the other is in effect will result in the nullification of the one originally in effect.
Yonin and Innin have a shared ability delay. For example, a ninja who uses Yonin must wait for five minutes to elapse before either ability becomes usable again.

In implementing these new abilities, the development team has taken into consideration character positioning during party play and many other factors. To ensure a smooth gaming experience for all, testing and adjustments will be carried out to the fullest extent that time permits.

Mijin Gakure
Up until now, ninjas who were revived after using the job ability "Mijin Gakure" would find themselves alive and standing, but in a weakened state. The July version update will see self-sacrificing ninjas restored to battle-ready fitness with a generous 50% of HP in the tank.

In light of the above changes, the latent effect granted by the ninja mythic weapon will also be adjusted. In place of the effect whereby users of Mijin Gakure are spared being revived in a weakened state, a special new effect will be introduced that will activate after using Mijin Gakure.

Other magic and job abilities scheduled to be on the receiving end of improvements will be introduced in the very near future, so stay tuned!
http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/4666/detail.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. These are powerful stances at first glance. Yonin is hot for any tanking ninja and probably most solo/duo situations. Innin lets you try and play DD, but it's interesting because the role of most ninjas in XP parties is sort of a hybrid tank/DD... of course there's usually going to be some time behind the mob unless your DDs are shit... but there's an interesting tension there. Accuracy loss is a big problem on XP mobs so I can't see Yonin being used in that case at least.

-benny

Looks good on paper. Let's see how they hold up during practical application. I can say though that a ninja operating from behind a mob seems awefully impractical with respect to Innin. Yonin seems like full time buff though if the accuracy loss isn't detrimental otherwise it's back to Optical hats and life belts. Let's hope the potency of these buffs are above laughable.

The abilities are situational but the mijin change is real nice. I like that they're trying to let people experiment with DD but I don't really see 6 years + of playing style going out the window. Regardless, how powerful the abilities are is secondary. None of it will take away from the job.

Dear SE,

Please buff the DRAK KNIGHT job class. The jorb only has A- combat rating in what is arguably the average Final Fantasy player's favorite weapon, the Great Sword. How are we supposed to emulate Cloud when we keep missing? Ragnarok kind of sucked, so maybe I could go get the Great Sword Mythic weap... OH WAIT, THERE IS NO GREAT SWORD MYTHIC WAPON. Also, WTF is up with giving my Galka DRAK KNIGHT less defense than Benny's Mithra BLAM? Nonsense! I will go parse second best compared to basically every other DD class because I'm supposed to be a DD/magic support class, but unfortunately all I get to waste MP on is being a stun monkey because my absorb spells are resisted on almost all endgame mobs and for some reason Blizzard and Poisonga just aren't cutting it. Speaking of cutting it I think I'll go do just that, to my wrists, as I listened to this Papa Roach and Disturbed mixed CD. Thanks.

- Omar

yessss, NINJA GETS JOB ABILITIES.

Man, I really want to see if this does anything for the job. It's felt like the bastard child of FFXI for a long time. I'm wondering how dramatic the effects will be. Seeing the awesome ones that have been added lately for WHM and RDM make me hold my tongue on making any initial judgments.

I've seen some nasty WHM Banish nukes and Composure just straight fucking rocks.

I'm hoping that the nukes are amplified enough to make elemental ninjitsu viable again.
Raiton%20San.JPG

That's the thing Arch, no one gives these things credit until they get to play with them and see how much it rocks to have refresh and haste on for like 7 and 9 minutes or whatever :) I'm pretty sure these abilities are going to be good buffs in the right situations.

Man, maybe I'll log in FF for an hour or so...

-benny

It looks like a good idea, particularly for sea and other endgame scenarios. These abilities..I don't think they'll -really- shine until you put the ninja in a longer fight..at least not both together. Innin just seems great in general..brings back the use of ninja tools beyond level what...45? If people even bothered to use them that long to begin with.

I did the NIN/BLM when i could first use the elemental nukes on Ninja but it sucked once we hit Cape T. Crabs/Pugils and gave up on it. Up until then BLM/NIN rocked

I sure hope "Ninja Tool Expertise" refers to elemental ninjutsu damage and not the meritable Ninja Tool Expertise trait. Maybe I can come more on ninja if these JAs are any good. So tired of SAM on every event...

I sure hope "Ninja Tool Expertise" refers to elemental ninjutsu damage and not the meritable Ninja Tool Expertise trait. Maybe I can come more on ninja if these JAs are any good. So tired of SAM on every event...

Can always ask the lead if there's a spot for your RDM.

To bad your SAM don't have the redd trait or maybe you wouldn't be SAM so much :p

Unfortunately I am not sure I see to much worth for these at end game level. Early on, yeah, the extra support to hold hate, or the ability to increase damage. Still at 75 or end game situations, I am doubting the damage increase will be enough to keep up with other jobs in burn pts. Not being a hater, since most of you know Nin was my first 75, 5 years ago, love the job, but this is just looks like too little, too late in the game. Thanks SE がんばりました

P.S. Aa > How was the hang over?

P.S. Aa > How was the hang over?

It did not exist. I just had a headache and was hungry. Alcohol makes me think I'm full, when I'm really not. Additionally, I walked home and saved myself 4,000 YEN. It was a neat walk and it really did not take all that long. It was good exercise to burn off the alcohol.

Back