iSuck -.-

Lexa

Just call me Veronica Mars
OK, so I'm useless, talentless and full of emo today.

The only question is just which of the brand, spanking new parts it will cost me - the $330 CPU, the $220 graphics card, the $120 memory sticks, the $290 motherboard or the $200 HDD. Hell, maybe all of it.

Don't even think about laughing, because I don't find it even remotely funny. If I could actually afford to have it fixed or replaced, I might laugh. But as it turns out, I can't. So I'm not.

Just give me some fucking consolation ice cream or something else loaded with carbs, fat and/or sugar. :icecream:

Very long story short(er): I used my birthday money instead of saving them like a jackass, and was gonna build my own PC because I've wanted to for quite some time. Was almost all set up when I made a REALLY stupid-ass mistake and fried something. Literally fried something. I know what I did wrong. But we don't know what got damaged. We just know it's FUBAR'd. So my money went out the window and down the drain, just because I was a retard. Hence the emo.

Now where's my ice cream?

EDIT: That's because the PSU seems fine.

Well, more details as to what you did would help diagnose the problem.

Just because you THINK you friend something, doesn't mean you did. The power circuits in newer equipment is pretty good about protecting itself from damage. If the PSU detects something wrong, it immediately shuts down.... at least the decent ones do anyway.

The last time I actually fried something was when I tried to plug a USB cable in and it touched or contacted something and I literally had smoke coming out after the sparks. (this was about 5-6 years ago.)

Maybe not so work safe, VIEWER BEWAREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

ice-cream-sculpture-goes-bad-1-ANON.jpg

LOL, when I said literally fried something, I meant literally. XD The wire I fried pretty much crumbled into charred dust, haha! Nothing else except that one wire got charred, but clearly something is off.

That being said, I had some actual ice cream and am done being emo. :p Since diagnosing exactly what's wrong is clearly beyond mine or Pat's scope, we took it to the local repair shop ($10 repairs for college students, GO!) so that at least I can find out what's wrong with it. :) Even if I can't afford to replace whatever needs replaced right now, I will know for the future. ^^

I dont know much about computers, but I know a thing or 2 about electrical physics. A lot of times if your wire is made out of a crappy material like aluminum and it pulls away from the coupling it can create a 'bridge' where the current has no choice but to arc between the contacts. When the spark or current tries to jump it will totally fry the insulation and sometimes catch on fire (happens a lot on waffle makers, panini makers and appliances that convert electrical to heat). Most of the time tho it just fries the wire and the appliance remains in tact with only a new wire needed to be fixed. I hope its just this and you can probably get the wire company to pay for any fried components with a phonecall and a threat to talk to the BBB.

No, trust me, it was my bad. :p The wire itself can just be replaced, but we need to know if the frying caused any damage to any other components in the PC.

In short: Alls PC place could tell me was that I need a new PSU, they don't know if I fried my mobo and graphics card. They were also a bit stumped, since my system was apparently way more advanced than what they were used to dealing with. So right now, it means picking up a new PSU and hoping things will work. If not... *shrug* <.>

Go, go, tiny crap town!

Found a second repair shop, which is funny - I've passed them before, but avoided the place because the storefront gave a pretty shitty impression. >.> It took them approx 4 hours to figure out that it was indeed the motherboard I fried (whereas the other place took a week to tell me nothing, and charged me double what this one did). Ordered a new one, and will hopefully not fry anything this time. >.>

I like mom and pop computer stores. You can befriend them and get free shit.. like operating system software, not to mention discounts.

Never judge a book by zee cover etc etc. :badshape:

Back