Introducing the Square Enix Security Token (03/10/2009)

Aangeliceus

Kitteh's Meow
FC/Leadership
http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/index.shtml
PlayOnline said:
4188.jpg

As a result of growing account security concerns within the online gaming community, Square Enix is proud to introduce the Square Enix Security Token. The token greatly increases the security of PlayOnline accounts by allowing users to log on by using a constantly changing one-time password that is displayed on the screen. The Square Enix Security Token will be available for purchase through the PlayOnline Viewer in the near future for those who wish to take advantage of the added security this optional service provides. As a special incentive, each Square Enix Security Token will come with an exciting in-game bonus which may just prove indispensible during your many adventures in Vana'diel!

Information on the Security Token's release date and price, as well as further details regarding the in-game bonus, will be announced at a later date.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/index.shtml

And before you ask...

If it's a standard RSA SecurID format, a new 6 digit code (in some cases, 9) is generated and you have 1 minute to use this code before it expires. The code is automatically canceled after you use it.

In some implementations, you have to enter a personal pin code in addition to the number the token generates. Example: my pin code is 9111 and it generates 192837, that means my token key is 9111192837. The 192837 is gone forever, until it randomly generates again.

I've been using this technology for at least 10 years, including now in Japan. My first token (was the size of credit card) lasted 5 years before needing to be replaced. This one looks like you press a button to generate a code when you need it vs. a constant generator. (Which saves power.)

Don't know how they're implementing this, but it's a good idea. If you share accounts with someone, prolly not a good idea to tie your account to this.

Anyway, that's the general idea... you'll need it to login to your account everytime. If you lose it, you're SOL until you can get a replacement.

And before you ask...

If it's a standard RSA SecurID format, a new 6 digit code (in some cases, 9) is generated and you have 1 minute to use this code before it expires. The code is automatically canceled after you use it.

In some implementations, you have to enter a personal pin code in addition to the number the token generates. Example: my pin code is 9111 and it generates 192837, that means my token key is 9111192837. The 192837 is gone forever, until it randomly generates again.

I've been using this technology for at least 10 years, including now in Japan. My first token (was the size of credit card) lasted 5 years before needing to be replaced. This one looks like you press a button to generate a code when you need it vs. a constant generator. (Which saves power.)

Don't know how they're implementing this, but it's a good idea. If you share accounts with someone, prolly not a good idea to tie your account to this.

Anyway, that's the general idea... you'll need it to login to your account everytime. If you lose it, you're SOL until you can get a replacement.
This is a new trend in video games, as I have one for my wow account.

They most likely bought an RSA key server and tied it into their authentication system for POL. That's how it's done everywhere else.

It's just adding another layer of authentication. I would assume that if you elect to use this new key method, it will replace your current password on a full-time basis. From the WoW standpoint, it seems they don't use the pin method, only the generated key.

I'm curious how this works. ie: How it's connected to the game/account.

sounds like a good idea.. these days..

after the fiasco i ran into with wow..

someone hacked into my account for RMT purposes and getting me banned, after which blizzard unlocked it after I followed the required steps, but when updating the account with the new email address I provided them with, the moron who updated it typo'd my email address, so I then had to call them (which was rather painless, they just needed me to answer my security question and verify my name), I finally have access..

blizzard's authenticator is only $6.50 so i'm probably going to get one.. however..

Quantity:Sold Out

$6.50

owned.

I'd only be somewhat annoyed for FFXI since I used autologin when I played, but probably worth it if you have a history of hackings.. or even if you don't, just because SE is so stict with bannings and such.. can never really be too careful.

I also wonder if SE's authenticator will have a cool design on it.. or let you choose something cool.

Back