Interesting Mob Info in FFXI

B

Byrdman

Non-Validated User
While studying for my test in Western Civ, I came across an interesting fact. In WoW and especially FFXI, alot of mob names and NPC names are derived from classic mythology, books, and even famous writers (Hemit Nestingway is an example in WoW). Well, I noticed something that immediately made me think off FFXI (how I miss it and you all so). The Ahriman mob. The flying eye thingy. I remember it well. According to the ancient religion of Zoroastrianism (i'm not making this shit up, look it up), the Ahriman is the equivalent of the Christian devil. He basically is the god of the forces of evil. When I read that I thought of mission 2-3, where you have to fight him and his devil/demon/dragon thingy, and I laughed. How funny, that one of the most annoying (Castle Zvahl Balleys ring a bell?) mob and tough one in some instances would be named after the God of the Forces of Evil, when he is the first connection to the "Shadow Lord" you see in the game. Anyway, I'm tired, and I have a test in .... 7 hours, so I best be going and trying to get atleast a bit of sleep. See you all later, and treat my character good, he deserves it (and a nice, firm spanking too:tounge-3:)

Byrdman, God of Rangers
WoW Title: Squirrel Destroyer and Rodent Bane

Darwen said:
The Gods are Japanese, arent they? (Byakko, Genbu, Seiryu, Suzaku and Kirin)

~Dar

I believe the original mythology of the gods of the four directions is Chinese. It's a long looooong history, so I'm not even going to try and look this up^^ but if you watch much anime you see it time and again in Chinese-themed stuff.

-benny

YES! I've finally created a successful thread, where people respond within hours instead of years! Yay for me!

benny said:
I believe the original mythology of the gods of the four directions is Chinese. It's a long looooong history, so I'm not even going to try and look this up^^ but if you watch much anime you see it time and again in Chinese-themed stuff.

-benny

Correct, and when they redid the skins for the Gods, they made them the correct colors.

The name Ragnarock actual refers to the end of the gods in norse mythology, where Fenrir eats Odin, and Thor defeats Jourmungar and then is killed by his poison. Where does Spini Spipi come from then?

Back