Installing FFXIV on Windows 8.x?

Aura

FC/Active Member
Has anyone had success installing FFXIV on Windows 8? I've got a Lenovo ThinkPad (Intel Core i5-2520, 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Windows 8.1), and when I try to run the FFXIV benchmark it says that DirectX 9 is required. That's kind of weird, since DirectX 9 should automatically be installed. In any case, I tried downloading DirectX 9 manually from MS website, and the DX9 installer gives me an error that it can't run on Windows 8. Running dxdiag reports no problems, and claims that DirectX 11 is correctly installed. I know the versions aren't backwards compatible, but it seems weird that Win8 would just straight up not support DX9, given how widespread it still is.

Only thing I can think of is that the game doesn't support the integrated graphics and that the DX 9 error is just a red herring, but I'm not sure how to confirm or deny that suspicion.

The game supports the integrated graphics, it tried to default that way on my laptop for some reason. It could be that MS is trying to end support of DX9 and is starting that with win8. One thing you could look into is XP mode. I know its not effecient to run a game in a VM (and windows at that) but some times you gotta do what you gotta do...

I got it working after some futzing. You can't use the web installer (which is what the one you're pointing to is). Instead you have to download the offline installer. Don't have a link handy but it basically downloads the entire DirectX runtime locally. That one doesn't do the OS check, and it worked.

BTW just fyi, but running something in compatibility mode isn't actually the same as using a VM, the applications won't generally incur a noticeable performance penalty.

Anyway, it's a little weird that SE like... completely failed to test the game on Win8? I mean seriously.

Hrm odd I had no issue installing the game on my machine. (Windows 8)

I run windows 8. I found FFXIV needs Direct X 9c during the Benchmark. Here is the link http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/
Direct X 11 support is supposed to start when the PS4 comes online.

Hrm odd I had no issue installing the game on my machine. (Windows 8)

Had you previously installed other games on your Windows 8 machine? If so, I wonder if those other games installed DirectX for you. Also Elvier mentioned the benchmark, my error occured with the benchmark as well (haven't tried the full game yet), so it's possible it's a benchmark specific thing.

Back