I Hate my Job

Garret

Galkasaur
FC/Active Member
I'm at work posting this right now because I just feel completely ridden down by the amount of work I have, Galkarider Dobritz style from Dynamis-Beaucedine. I've been here going on 2 months now and it just feels like a millstone around my neck so I'm venting here!

In short, GRAWR!

What exactly do you do again? I know you work for a Healtcare group of sorts... but what do you actually do?

Can I get a copy of that Memo?

".....we noticed you have been missing a lot of work lately, Peter......."

"Well, I wouldn't say that I have been 'missing it'........"

---
Sorry, couldnt resist.

My title is "Space and Logisitcs Coordinator". In a nutshell I work in the facilities department for the research divison of a large hospital. I do everything from contracting vendors about quotes for building equipment, organize labratory moves, handle the service contracts for certain items, order some lab supplies, help manage our own budget (I know nothing of budgets other than red is bad), manage the alarm system, manage the equipment inventory, um... and probably a lot of other things I don't know of yet or am just forgetting.

The pay is kinda meh for the amount of work that is actually involved, but it does pay more than any job I've had before, but seeing as I just graduated last year that's not saying much. My coworkers are nice enough although not many people are really in my department, our actual 'group' is 3 people including my manager.

It's really just frustrating to dislike my first real job so much, and it's really in a field I have no intention of staying in for the long term, the fact that I heard about the job through my mom, a friend of hers is actually my direct manager, complicates it somewhat in my eyes anyway.

I'm not saying that I would rather be at home playing FFXI 24/7 like I was over the winter months, as much fun as I have, compared to having some form of job. But compared to putting in hours at something I hate just irks me I guess when I'm sure I could find something at least somewhat more to my liking if I hadn't taken this job, although with the amount of organizing I do here this position ought to look excellent on a resume if I can stick it out without dying.

Garret - hang in there lol.

I currenly have a job for the summer as I'm home from school til august. I work at Snap-On Tools, at one of the distribution centers. Basicalyl we get in orders, process the orders, pick all the parts and tools for a particular order, package, ship, repeat. In a day I personally process about 10-20 orders, each of which may contain anywhere from 1-200 different locations in a giant warehouse to collect parts from, which then must be packaged according to size / weight etc. and shipped out. It's not BAD, I make decent money, but its very boring... And I get up early (which I hate) and always feel like i'm about to doze off while walkin around.

Jotaru said:
Garret - hang in there lol.

I currenly have a job for the summer as I'm home from school til august. I work at Snap-On Tools, at one of the distribution centers. Basicalyl we get in orders, process the orders, pick all the parts and tools for a particular order, package, ship, repeat. In a day I personally process about 10-20 orders, each of which may contain anywhere from 1-200 different locations in a giant warehouse to collect parts from, which then must be packaged according to size / weight etc. and shipped out. It's not BAD, I make decent money, but its very boring... And I get up early (which I hate) and always feel like i'm about to doze off while walkin around.

Get me a discount damn you! I have $4,000 worth of tools as it is... :D

Really? w.

Snap-On tools rock the house. My dad works as the regional training manager, so he basically teaches stuff to everyone in 15 or so states. Thus, he told me about this job.

The discount, mehhh, not so much. =p But why so many? o_O?

I wish I were more of a techie and could get some cushy job sitting around pretending to do computer work while simply playing FFXI instead... that'd be so much easier.

Garret said:
I wish I were more of a techie and could get some cushy job sitting around pretending to do computer work while simply playing FFXI instead... that'd be so much easier.

Indeed Garret... Indeed.

Jotaru said:
Really? w.

Snap-On tools rock the house. My dad works as the regional training manager, so he basically teaches stuff to everyone in 15 or so states. Thus, he told me about this job.

The discount, mehhh, not so much. =p But why so many? o_O?

My other passion is working on cars... I have a (mostly) complete set of Mechanics tools, Air Compressor and associated air tools. The only things I lack are some of the newer speciality tools and a bigger garage with a higher ceiling so I could put a hydraulic lift in >.> :bfg:

Snap-On was out of price range for a long time, So I had to stick with craftsman, which is fine. But they do not make some of more specialty items than Snap-On makes.

I usually do things for friends such as: Brakes, Timing Belts/Chains, Water Pump, Oil Changes, half-shalf replacements, U-Joint replacements, re-packing pumpkins, Transmission maintenance (non-sealed) (HATE GM :arg: ) -- Um... general maintenance sort of crap... pretty much whatever comes down the pike. I have pulled and rebuilt engines, mostly older Mustangs that were getting some big upgrade....--- I even have a code reader for diagnostic purposes :tounge-3:

So, yeah, Im a car-mechanic nut. Hence... lots of tools. -- Big things left to buy are a large storage case and a kit for a more portable tools for those 'on the road jobs'.

meh... Hondas btw, nice cars... but you gotta have either the right tools or some god damn small hands to do shit to those cars... ><

My real dream would be to simply stay in the world of academia as a grad student getting some sort of living stipend. Then I'd get to learn, play FFXI and not have to worry about income for at least awhile =0

Aang > We need to talk sometime <_< Cars {Yes, please}

Garret > I, actually, DO have a job where I can sit and play FFXI - during the school year. I work as a residence halls security guard, so I basically sit in front of a kiosk for hours and do homework while making sure kids who come in swipe their ID badges. IF I had a laptop, I could play FFXI to my hearts content, hours on eend, and get my 6.50 / hr having fun... However, just my luck that I just bought a $1k PC last year and don't have enuff to go buy a laptop that could handle FFXI ><! SO I feel ya, lol, I have the opportunity but its just dangling outta my reach ><

If you do get access to a computer for a short amount of time even if it's not much, here's some things to do/read:

http://www.corwin.ca/gridlock/
I'm fond of puzzles and I've beaten this one before but I always go back.

http://www.somethingawful.com/
Lots of material to read on the main site, lots of photoshops to look at, and the forums are interesting if you get an account to browse all that aren't public.

http://www.webmd.com/
Boredom -> Education, read up on diseases and disorders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_Valley
Wikipedia in general has good things to read while being informed at the same time, this is one of my favorite entries.

http://cheston.com/pbf/archive.html
I posted one of the strips from here in my gallery, several are my kind of humor, dunno if it's yours.

http://www.spamusement.com/
More odd humor.

http://outpostnine.com/editorials/teacher.html
Amusing articles from a guy teaching in Japan.

Just little things for when you do have computer access but not enough for FF.

Yar Outpostnine link is good, been reading his blog for a few months now...

Gaijin SMASH!

So Aida, to give helpful advice on my job which is way too busy where I "waste", very relative term cause I love forums, enough of my time already on KI, Alla and our own Forums you give me links to other distractions?!

Mom/family induced jobs = the devil.

Usually hate em, but can't really quit them... or you get a phone call...

edit: Yea hang in there tho. I know working full time is hard as hell for me after playing so much ffxi all the time, but its getting a little easier now.

It's not so much the working instead of playing FFXI all the time, it's working at a crap job I hate instead of FFXI all the time.

Garret said:
So Aida, to give helpful advice on my job which is way too busy where I "waste", very relative term cause I love forums, enough of my time already on KI, Alla and our own Forums you give me links to other distractions?!

It's called love darling :D

Back