FFXIV: ARR - General Q&A/Impressions Thread

Xerlaoth

Profaner of Isis
FC/Active Member
Hi everyone!

I'm finding most of the threads on ARR here to be pretty clinical, so I thought we could use a place for new players like myself to ask questions, and for people to generally chat about the qualitative value of various game elements.

I'll start. First, a question: how's the crafting? I didn't touch it during my day-long stint in the beta, and I've heard it's more engaging than typical MMO fare. I'd say my favorite crafting system was in Vanguard, but the rest of that game was pretty rotten and it did not age well. Darkfall's crafting was pretty engaging/addictive as well, but just like the rest of that game it was a bit too hardcore for me.

I really enjoyed what I played yesterday. However, I think in polishing their formula for a modern audience they may have sanded smooth some of the rough edges that lended FFXI a lot of its personality. From the bottom looking up, it seems like the kind of game where maxing out a class might take two weeks of diligent play. I think that approach places more of an onus on the developers to keep fresh content flowing (is the team up to it?), whereas in FFXI the journey from 1-75, plus subjobs, artifact armor, etc., took long enough to perpetuate itself for a good long while. I'm under the impression that all this changed since I last played in 2007, but alas.

All that said, I'm glad they kept the ability to level everything on one character. It felt genius in 2003, and it still does because most games don't allow you the freedom. I haven't gotten far enough to know if cross-class abilities are as satisfying as the subjob system, but the idea of having a bunch of different useful buffs (20% extra damage, mitigation, etc.) on separate two minute timers is enticing.

Visually the game is well put together, though a bit ugly on PS3. I need to see about turning off some of the combat effects, as even in small parties there were entirely too many distracting particle effects flying around.

I tried out the duty finder, which worked well. I'd call my tanking inadequate though, as I do not quite have a handle on target-switching with a controller yet. I suspect I need to tweak some settings and bang out some macros to address the issue. I also need to drop this bad habit of just keeping the triggers pressed. It'll be easier to work out in release, when I can theoretically play with some of you all in a more relaxed setting.

I'm getting longwinded in my old age. Anyway, share your impressions and ask questions!

Edit: Typos and repeats, argh!

Last edited:
I really enjoyed what I played yesterday. However, I think in polishing their formula for a modern audience they may have sanded smooth some of the rough edges that lended FFXI a lot of its personality. From the bottom looking up, it seems like the kind of game where maxing out a class might take two weeks of diligent play. I think that approach places more of an onus on the developers to keep fresh content flowing (is the team up to it?), whereas in FFXI the journey from 1-75, plus subjobs, artifact armor, etc., took long enough to perpetuate itself for a good long while. I'm under the impression that all this changed since I last played in 2007, but alas.

FFXI: Level 1 to 99 in maybe two days. (Thanks to Abyssea areas, 200k/exp/hour)

FFIXV: Level cap is 50 I believe still, It took me a few hours of real game time to get to level 16. I don't have a good feel of how long it would take to get to 50, yeah maybe a few weeks of casual play for 1 job....

@Fodder would be a good person to interject about crafting from what I understand. (look at his crafting: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=2036650)

While my experience is hardly as complete as Fodder's I did try out crafting in phase 3. It is kinda like a fight.

You still have a hotbar with various actions with the goal being to raise the completion meter up to 100%. The item has a durability number that gives you a limit to the amount of actions you can perform so say 4. Meaning you can use 4 actions that hurt durability before the item breaks and the synth fails. However later on actions can restore durability, but they cost CP which is basically mana for crafting. The actions you can perform either raise the completion meter a certain amount or increase the quality the higher the quality the better the chance of a high quality version of the item and all of them cost CP.

So it becomes a game of balancing CP, durability, quality and completion to try and achieve the results you want (it's more simple than it sounds at least at low levels).

There are some additional wrinkles to it, such as the fact that every action has a chance of changing the item's affinity (I can't remember what it's called exactly). The affinity dictates how much of an increase to the item's quality certain actions will give you. Finally you can still cross-class certain skills so it is rather fun. It is far more involved then most MMOs, but in general you find the most efficient rotation of skills and perform them over and over with little variation (at least at low levels) so it can become monotonous at the same time.

The only problem I have with crafting is making basic items you need tons of; like say turning lumber into usable planks or ore and smelting it to bars each individual ore (or whatever) has to go through the complicated crafting process.

It DOES get easier and quicker as you go up in levels and equip better gear, but it's still rather a pain because there is 0 chance of failure just a large time sink you can't even AFK for. However, I think Yoshi-P has said they are looking into improving this at some point.

Gathering is a little more complex than most games but in general still pretty basic. In essence you go up to a gathering node and it lists the items you can find from this node, though they are blanked out (????) if you have never gathered it before. Each item has a percentage chance indicating what your chances of obtaining that item is and each node has a durability that tells you how many attempts at items you get. Abilities increase the chance you have at items but I have no idea if it gets more complex I didn't do this long.

So say a 50% chance of getting copper ore from this node, each time you try for copper ore you have a 50% chance of success and either way it lowers the durability by 1.

Fishing is thankfully simple, just throw in your lure and hook a fish when it starts biting. However, each area has its own fish and there are several different bait types that attract different fish in each area. I believe time of day and weather may play a role in what fish are around as well.

Last edited:
I haven't tried any DoL/DoH since 1.0 so I can't speak to how it is now, but I hear it's "better." 1.0 was a LOT of grind for DoL/DoH. I'll get back into it again once they take the level caps off and I get re-geared.

O.0

Maybe I should try it for a day...

And so I did! Or tried to. I made a hume in Bastok on Cerberus, because that was the server at the top of the list. Then when the game loaded there were no character models.

S'why I'm playing on PS3, you guys. In case anyone's ever curious, stuff like this is the reason.

Haha. I tried it on ps3 but I couldn't stand the lower resolution and lack of detail.

PC is amazing even on my dual core. My PC really had aged well over the past 4 years. Might throw in an updated video card until I have money to build a new PC though.

Haha. I tried it on ps3 but I couldn't stand the lower resolution and lack of detail.

PC is amazing even on my dual core. My PC really had aged well over the past 4 years. Might throw in an updated video card until I have money to build a new PC though.

Yeah, I should be clear - this is a problem with me, not the platform. I don't have the patience to monkey around with settings anymore. Or upgrades.

Yeah, I should be clear - this is a problem with me, not the platform. I don't have the patience to monkey around with settings anymore. Or upgrades.

Haha. Yeah. I like messing with that stuff most of the time. Of course I like playing at max settings even more.

Curious how the PS4 version turns out though. Hopefully they do more than just port it over, should be capable of running the game at higher settings pretty well.

Question: what's the best way to go about leveling lower jobs once you've exhausted the quests for an area?

I spent most of my time on today doing the GLD level 5 class quest, which brought me to some other local quests. Those'll run out though, and I plan to dabble in all classes at least a little. Is it mostly FATEs, Guildleves, Guildhests (am I getting these names right?)?

Hunting log too.. wish they let you redo quests on other jobs

Yes indeed it is. There is also the fact that you get bonus exp based on the highest level job you have. In addition, the fastest way to level is to do old ffxi style xp grind parties. Just nonstop killing and grabbing fates. But in general guildleves and hests once you can are quick. Filling out the hunting log. Dungeons and the mog cap we get once the game launches for preordering gives 20% bonus xp til level 10. So I'm mostly waiting for that.

Thanks for the great info... (y) Any more info or comments about the gameplay please? Not sure if I will get into AAR, but I'm very curious about what it's like. Thanks~

Back