Blue Mage Useful Spells + Combos Guide

RSS News

Syndicated News Service
I've been asked to update my BLU Guide from 4.5. However, since we're all still leveling through content right now, I figured it would be best to just cover the important spells and combos for BLU to make your leveling easier. I'll be writing this guide like you're starting from Level 1, but a lot of these spell combos require dungeon mobs to have.

1000 Needles - Required Level: None (Lv. 20 Recommended) - Acquired: Southern Thanalan

This is your main attack spell while under Level 50, even with the changes to BLU in 5.1. It deals 1000 damage divided evenly across all of your targets. It has a long cast time on it, but until you hit Level 50, it's your highest DPS spell in pretty much every situation.

White Wind - Required Level: None - Acquired: Ul'Dah - Learn 10 Spells

This is pretty much your only healing spell on Blue Mage. It restores HP equal to your current HP, meaning if you use it at 50% or more, you will be fully healed. Use it when you're almost dead, and well... you're going to die. There's a bunch of new healing spells added in 5.15, but they all require Healer Mimicry to be useful.

Bad Breath - Required Level: None (Lv. 25 Recommended) - Acquired: Central Shroud

Do you like debuffs? How about ALL OF THEM! Bad Breath is pretty much your one stop shop to weaken your foe to let you do your thing. It also does some damage, and has a Damage Down debuff that doesn't suffer from immunities.

The Ram's Voice + The Dragon's Voice - Required Level: 38 - Acquired: Cutter's Cry

The original one-two combo of the Blue Mage unfortunately got a pretty heavy nerf in 5.1. Still, the Freeze effect from Ram's Voice alone makes this one still strong, even through Dragon's Voice is a bit of a pain to use and got a serious nerf.

Moon Flute + Toad Oil + Bristle (Peculiar Light) + Self-Destruct - Required Level: None (Lv. 40 Recommended) - Acquire: Various

I almost forgot to include this because it's so situational, but it's still the reason why people like to have Blue Mages around. Self-Destruct can be learnt almost immediately and does a massive 1500 Potency to everything around you, and I do mean everything. This spell has some massive range on it. Toad Oil adds an additional 300 Potency. Bristle increases the next attack by 50%, Peculiar Light adds 5% more damage. Moon Flute requires clearing 10 Floors in the Carnivale, but adds 50% more damage. All of these spells should be able to be acquired prior to Level 50.

All added together, this Self-Destruct combo for 4250 Potency which is stronger then a Caster LB2. But, unlike Limit Breaks, this can Crit and Direct Hit.

Moon Flute + Whistle (Off-Guard) + Final Sting - Required Level: None (Lv. 50 Recommended) - Acquire: Various

This is the single target version of the combo above. Final Sting starts out at 2000 Potency. Bristle increases the next attack by 50%. Whistle is stronger here at 80%, but is acquired from a Lv. 56 mob. Off-Guard adds 5% more damage, and Moon Flute increases all damage by 50%.

All added together, this hits for 5670 Potency which is stronger then a Melee LB2. But, unlike Limit Breaks, this can Crit and Direct Hit.

Missile - Required Level: 50 - Acquired: Battle in the Big Keep

BEST BLU SPELL, PERIOD! It deals 50% of the target's current HP and has a fairly high accuracy. Unfortunately, it does not work on mobs that are higher level then you which makes it less useful for leveling. It also doesn't work on enemies that are immune to Death.

Aqua Breath + Northelies - Required Level: 50 - Acquired: The Dragon's Neck or Masked Carnivale

Do you like Holy's Stun effect? Now, let's make that 5 TIMES AS POTENT! 20 seconds of Freeze is just downright game-breaking and can easily let you solo enemies you should have no business fighting. Get this one ASAP.

Bristle + Song of Torment - Required Level: 50 - Acquired: Pharos Sirius (Normal)

Your strongest GCD spell combo. Bristle increases the next spell by 50% and Song of Torment is a spicy 30s DOT. When combined, you're looking at 825 Potency over 30 second. This is your standard opener outside of Missile.

Whistle (Off-Guard) + Bomb Toss + Sharpened Knife - Required Level: 50 - Acquired: Wanderer's Palace + Sea of Clouds

The Bomb/Knife combo was your strongest single target move back in 4.5, and it just got significantly better in 5.15. Whistle increases the damage of your next physical attack by 80%, and since Bomb Toss is magical, this combo leads to Sharpened Knife dealing a stupidly high 810 Potency. The best part is you can get a second Knife in for 450 Potency. AND, this whole combo can be done twice before Stun immunity kicks in. (Note: Perpetual Ray might replace Bomb Toss at 60, need to test it).

White Knight's Tour + Black Knight's Tour - Required Level: 57 - Acquired: The Vault

This is basically a replacement for the Chimera combo. It deals the same damage, but doesn't rely on Freeze to do it. Plus side, they actually feed into each other if you're playing solo. Don't expect people to let the Bind stick though in group play.

All of the Primal Spells - Required Level: 20-60 - Acquired: Trials

I'm not going to go in-depth with these, but they are oGCD spells that pack a serious punch. At the bare minimum, you should get Eruption from Ifrit Story as soon as you can. He can easily be soloed at Level 50, and maybe even before.

submitted by /u/FawksB
[link] [comments]

Continue reading...

Back