Blade & Soul

Jotaru

shinobi-no-mono
FC/Active Member
Found on BG Forums; NCSoft announces new MMORPG, Blade & Soul.

http://www.jeuxonline.info/video/1058/premiere-bande-annonce-blade-soul

Donno about anyone else, but this game looks sick as HELL to me. The music was spot on, the artstyle is amazing (from the detail to the combat to the animations, summoned blades etc...) Combat looks awesome and like it may have a turn-based element to it (Though some fights look real-time.. perhaps duels are turn-based, with reactive commands based on what your opponent does to you?

Thoughts? Comments? After seeing the Mirror's Edge trailer I've really gotten hooked on the very vibrant bright colors on some things contrasting to a more dull (yet equally as amazingly detailed / awesome) backdrop; it just looks amazingly lovely to me. Also like the water droplets and whatnot on the screen; it pains me however to think of how this will run :/ AoC was supposed to be awesome but one of the main complaints at the moment is how slow it runs when a few characters get on the screen, even on top-end machines.

Oh well. Wanted to post this here to see what people thought.

Well Jotaru they made lineage 2 which still holds its own graphics wise. I trust NC soft to make an mmo with bad ass graphics that can be system friendly at the same time.

• Constantly Changing Environment: Within ‘Blade&Soul,’ many conditions change according to the play of the gamer, on the other hand, the environment creates diverse situations for the gamers. This system will provide the gamers with a new experience that has not been witnessed until now.

That's a nice water droplet effect. I'm curious about how a medieval-looking world has camera lenses though. ^_~

This does look pretty good. I wonder what their magic system is like though. I'd hope it's more than just the floaty blades you summon.

At first, when I saw GPotato in the lower right, I expected some more horrible korean mmo dogshit along the lines of Flyff or Rappelz.

WRONG. That actually looked epic and I want to try it out. Hopefully, I won't need a 2000 dollar system to play it at a decent speed, and the PvP is an optional component of the gameplay.

Last edited:
I love how all the women have huge knockers. I love it.

surprised you Soj wasnt mentioning their underwear. That annoyed me in lineage 2 people kept trying to get upskirt pics. If people are curious as to how they do their mmos look up Lineage 2 though its still stunning and can run on most systems.

It runs on the Unreal 3 engine, so if your PC can play Unreal 3 or Mass Effect, odds are you can run it. Also, it seems the game will enter Korean Beta in Q3-Q4 of 2009. (Not sure if that's closed or open, my Korean is only as good as google makes it.

On another note, the art director if you hadn't noticed is Kim Hyung-Tae!! :eek: He's the one responsible for the artwork in Magna Carta.

It runs on the Unreal 3 engine, so if your PC can play Unreal 3 or Mass Effect, odds are you can run it. Also, it seems the game will enter Korean Beta in Q3-Q4 of 2009. (Not sure if that's closed or open, my Korean is only as good as google makes it.

On another note, the art director if you hadn't noticed is Kim Hyung-Tae!! :eek:He's the one responsible for the artwork in Magna Carta.

You fucking nerd.

If the combat is gonna be like that in real time ill definitely try this out. It looks really good to boot. I recognized Kim's art style right away from the clothes alone. Hopefully I have a new PC by the time it comes out

Retards don't have feelings. joff

I tried for about 20 minutes to find an article or a study rebuking that claim, and proving thus that retards DO have feelings. However, after said 20 minutes, I could not find a single scrap of credible evidence or even a claim from a person who was in fact retarded. So I thought to myself: Why the fuck am I even doing this? and gave up.

HAHAAAAAAAAAAAA. Dude, I'M FROM THE INTERNET. I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

On another note, the art director if you hadn't noticed is Kim Hyung-Tae!! :eek:He's the one responsible for the artwork in Magna Carta.

I thought the art looked familiar but just chalked it up to "Korean MMO". If you've played some of the others like Silkroad Online, KalOnline, or Rakion you'll notice artistic similarities there too.

That said, I adored Magna Carta: Crimson Stigmata (a.k.a.Tears of Blood in the US). The fixed camera angles pissed me off, Calintz's pants made me giggle (I still call it 'the bad pants game'), and the battle system was unecessarily overcomplicated, but I loved the art, the story and world concept. I just wish they had released the first game in the US... but alas.

Here's hoping Blade & Soul is awesome. Trying to look it up, I get nothing but Soul Calibur stuff, so I hope aren't totally buried on the web.

EDIT:
Because even just mentioning it made me giggle, I have to show you the pants I'm talking about. Apparently Calintz saw meatspin at some point between the first and second games and enjoyed it. I mean, really...

First Game Calintz:
calintz.jpg

Second Game Calintz:
(yes, those are his hips showing, and yes those are feathers all over his outfit)

calintz.jpg

Last edited:
I really loved Magna Carta too, but I think it suffers from Vagrant Story Syndrome. When it first came out, I was nearly positive Calintz was female.

I really loved Magna Carta too, but I think it suffers from Vagrant Story Syndrome. When it first came out, I was nearly positive Calintz was female.

Female with a really low voice. In the English dubbing, I think they got a hyper-masculine voice actor to compensate lol. Made it all the more giggle worthy. Sad thing is he was nowhere near that hyper feminine in the first game (see above pic).

Is Blade and Soul supposed to tie into Magna Carta at all? Just asking from this wallpaper for it...

http://www.bascentral.com/plugins/m...y/Blade and Soul/Wallpaper/5.jpg&h=800&w=1024

That's definitely Reith and Lehas. So wondering if they connect or if someone just got lazy and recycled art.

Lol I think that's just recycled art. There's a couple great B&S wallpapers from that web community I posted that are definitely new characters, but most of them have a huge resemblance to one Magna Carta character or another.

I would definitely recommend reading the interviews on that site. According to them, the game is based on the Korean Genesis, but incorporates Russian, German, Chinese lore among many others too. From what I got out of it you are defying the gods. :p However gods in the Korean Genesis were more like mortals. (like Son Goku from The Journey West)

Back