Another Vista thread

Sojourn

Banned for hotter e-lovin.
Hello friends! I have returned from Banland and have some computing questions for you all! As some of you know I can't play FFXI at all on this laptop because i get .5 fps everywhere i go, even in my mog. I've updated the drivers and all that crap, changed the battery settings to the MAX, and even tried random things i've found online that are said to boost fps performance in games, but none of them have worked. Specs:

<table summary="" bgcolor="#cccccc" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="560"><tbody valign="top"><tr bgcolor="#e7e7e7"><td rowspan="1" align="left" valign="top">Microprocessor </td> <td rowspan="1" align="left" valign="top">1.9 GHz AMD Turion 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-58</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td rowspan="1" align="left" valign="top"> Microprocessor Cache </td> <td rowspan="1" align="left" valign="top">512KB+512KB L2 Cache</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#e7e7e7"> <td rowspan="1" align="left" valign="top"> Memory </td> <td rowspan="1" align="left" valign="top">2048 MB (2 x 1024 MB)</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td rowspan="1" align="left" valign="top">
</td> <td rowspan="1" align="left" valign="top">
</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#e7e7e7"> <td rowspan="1" align="left" valign="top"> Video Graphics </td> <td rowspan="1" align="left" valign="top">NVIDIA GeForce 7150M</td></tr></tbody></table>

not sure what else you need to know, but any more info or tips would help. I've tried everything in Gordo's thread but none of it worked. Any suggestions would help. I love you all. <3

what video driver rev do you have. Did you install the directx8/9 package? Is something else using your CPU fully that you aren't aware of? Also, there are problems with some drivers downclocking Nvidia mobile cards, you might check that out too.

in fact, download the current video driver revision you have just in case the following doesn't work.

Download the 175.16 driver from nvidia.com. http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_175.16_whql.html

browse to c:\NVIDIA\WinVista32\175.16\English and drop this file in then run the installer.

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/infs/175series/17516_vista/nv_disp.inf

what this does is adds support for your card to the driverset. It may or may not work. If it takes a big shit just reinstall your old driver.

When I tried to install the driver you posted Fodder it gave me this error:

wryyyyyyyyyyyyydi3.jpg

It gives me that error when I try to install ANY new video drivers. It has me stuck at 156.65.

*edit* sorry for the huge pic, didnt bother resizing it.

I re-read what you posted and found the folder (not sure how it's there without having installed anything...), but the second link you posted is giving me a forbidden error, so I can't drop anything into that folder.

When I tried that driver Kalia, it said it would only work for vista 64bit, so i'm thinking i'm on 32 =p

ok, I just did this myself to test the full process for you.

1. the old drivers are not installing properly.
2. whql is interfering.

you need to:
1. download and install driver cleaner pro and this version of the video driver http://phyxion.net/docman/cat_view/5.html
download this http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/nvidia/175series/17516_vista.exe
you will also still need the nv_disp.inf I linked.
2. use driver cleaner pro to clean Nvidia display drivers ONLY.
3. go into your device manager and uninstall your nvidia display adapter.
4. reboot.
5. run the new display drivers you downloaded to extract them to a folder.
6. drop the inf file in.
7. run setup.exe in the display driver folder.
8. tell it to install anyway.
9. reboot when it tells you and all should be good

welcome to the wonderful world of nvidia mobile video cards

The laptopvideo2go links are all giving me this

Error: 403 (Request Forbidden)

zomg if this works,... does this mean we'll actually see your shining face in teh game again???

oh and this whole post reminds me sooo of why i loooooooooove my Mac... now if SE would ever port over a mac client... heh

Thanks for all the info guys, i'll see if it does anything. If not, i'll be SOL till I can afford to build a new PC.

Back